Slovene: nastanjati se / ostajati

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Gavril, May 2, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Živijo,

In the pons.eu dictionary, the verb nastanjati se (perfective nastaniti se) is translated as "stay", in the sense of "reside (somewhere) temporarily".

However, this dictionary also gives the example poleti otroci ponavadi ostanejo za en teden pri starih starših "the children normally stay with their grandparents for a week in the summer".

Why is ostati used in this context rather than nastaniti se? Is nastaniti se normally used for longer time periods, or is it used when there is no other place to stay?

E.g., would it work to say, Se nastanil pri prijatelju za dva meseca ko nimel doma "I stayed at a friend's house for 2 months when I did not have a home"?

Najlepša hvala,
    Gavril

2. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    The perfective form nastanjati se isn't all that common, and it's only used to mean "stay" in the sense of "to reside for an extended period of time."

Yes, you could say that. You were accommodated by your friend -- that's what nastaniti se refers to in this case.

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi TNP,

I thought that nastanjati was an imperfective form; do you mean that the perfective form of nastanjati se isn't very common?

4. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Sorry, I meant to write imperfective.

5. mangart New Member

slovene
    Ostati is used in the sense of the verb to remain for a while at a certain place after you have arrived there. For example, the children arrive at their grandparents’ house and stay/remain there for 2 weeks.