Slovene: zmeraj / vedno

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Gavril, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Živijo,

The words zmeraj and vedno are both translated as "always" in my Slovenian textbook. Is there a difference (big or small) of meaning between these two words?

Hvala,
    Gavril

2. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    I don't perceive a difference, and SSKJ's definitions for both are identical, so I don't think there is any difference at all.

3. qwqwqw Senior Member

Bayern, D
    Bulgarisch
    Two other words like that are "zgolj" and "šele", Right?

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Not to get too off-topic, but I've already found (in the little time I've been studying Slovenian) many pairs of adverbs that are translated the same way, at least in my textbook: just one other example is redko/malokrat "rarely".

I'm planning on starting separate threads about all of the pairs I've found, eventually. (I don't want to wear out my welcome here by asking too many questions at once. :))

5. qwqwqw Senior Member

Bayern, D
    Bulgarisch
    Ask as many questions as you need - that's why this forum is here. The mod himself told me that. This mod is all right. :)

6. qwqwqw Senior Member

Bayern, D
    Bulgarisch
    Not only are these two words similar but so are too še zmeraj and še vedno, both meaning still. As in I am still working on it. This is good to know because still is used often. Right, TNP?

7. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Yes, both of these forms are very common.

8. jadeite_85 Senior Member

Italy
    italian, slovene
    I perceive "zmeraj" of lower register, while "vedno" as standard. This is a mere personal perception, maybe due to the fact that in my dialect "zmeraj" is used instead of "vedno".
    So, in fact no difference at all. :)