Slovenian: Accent of adverbs

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by dihydrogen monoxide, Sep 9, 2008.

1. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    Why are adverbs in Slovene stressed on the last syllable. Why does accent fall on the last syllable in case of adverbs? Examples are:
  2. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    I guess you mean: as compared to Serbian/Croatian/..., right?

You should add that to avoid misunderstandings.
    And no, I can't answer your question, I lack the necessary background (which would be accentuation in BCSM on one hand - which is an innovation and a development away from Common Slavonic - and Common Slavonic accent on the other hand which is retained in Slovenian to a higher degree than in BCSM and some other Slavic languages).

If your original question is another one then I'm sorry, but in that case please provide the essential context.
  3. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    as compared to Serbian/Croatian, you can answer this too, but I am more concerned about why does the accent change place within the same word if the word plays the role of an adverb. You are right that Slovene has obtained Common Slavonic accent and accent in Slovene is free. It can fall anywhere. In Croatian the accent in most cases falls on first syllables. In Slovene, the issue is this. The same words listed above if they are adjectives are accented on first syllable and if they are adverbs on the second syllable. Basically I want to know this. You can compare it to BSC too, if you understand it like that, but I'd like to know the shift of accent when the adverb is concerned.
    Let's say lépo 'beautiful' Kupil si je lépo haljo. (lépo plays the role of adjective)
    lepó 'beautifully' Lepo se je oblekel (lepó plays the role of adverb)
    and here the accent shifts. So basically I'm asking why the accent shift.
  4. zigaramsak Member

Well, I suppose you could ask, why in English adverbs end with -ly, why on the other hand they stay the same in German and in Croatian/Serbian (right?), why they end with -mente in Italian, etc... Why in Slovenian it's the stress that makes the distinction, beats me... Strange are the ways languages develop...
  5. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    I think that this all is related, that the accent shift on adverbs goes back to Common Slavonic (and that in BCS this is not the case for the simple reason that BCS developped away from it), but I never took lessons in Old Church Slavonic so really I am not the person to answer that one. I just wanted to make the context clear. ;)
  6. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Does this phenomenon exist in any other modern Slavic language?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  7. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA

According to SSKJ (Slovar slovenskega knjižnega jezika), some Slovene adverbs have alternate accent patterns that are non-final: e.g., morda "maybe" is listed with a second form where the accent falls on the "o".

Does anyone know how common the second form of morda (with the accent on the first syllable) is?

Also, another word for "maybe", mogoče, is listed as having penultimate accent rather than final. Does the word-final accent pattern apply mainly to adverbs that end in -o?

EDIT: I just found the example približno "approximately", which ends in ends in -o but is apparently accented on the penultimate syllable.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  8. qwqwqw Senior Member

Bayern, D
    I think you will fit right in here. These guys have this language thing down to a science. :)