Slovenian (Ljubljana coll.): in to pomeni da misli na tebe

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by keyl, Apr 15, 2009.

1. keyl Senior Member

NJ, USA
    Argentina-Spanish / USA
    Hello friends:

Somebody sent me this knowing I cannot understand the language and even when I try to get an idea of the general meaning by using Intertran, it was impossible to get most of it translated.

Here are the two sentences. Since I don't understand anything, I apologize in advance if it is not "proper"

Thanks...

LF

Stisni na Forward in videl/a boš kateri/a prijatelj/ica stalno gleda tvoj profil... in to pomeni da misli na tebe! =)

hitr klikn na forward pa boš vidu kdo skoz misl nate;) oziroma čekira tvoi profil

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  2. phosphore Senior Member

Serbian
    Click forward and you will see which friend views your profile all the time and remember that he/she thinks of you.

Click forward quickly and you will see who thinks of you, who views your profile, more exactly.

3. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Very close:

Pomniti means "to remember", but pomeniti means "to mean." (This sounds weird if you say it fast, doesn't it? ;) )

The second sentence in particular is a phonetic transcription of colloquial Slovenian as spoken in Ljubljana and is very different from standard Slovenian.

Here is how some of these words would look in standard Slovenian:

stisni = pritisni
    hitr = hitro
    vidu = videl
    skoz = ves čas, neprestano
    misl = misli
    čekira = pregleduje

4. phosphore Senior Member

Serbian
    I noticed that it was neither (standard) Slovenian nor (dialectal) Croatian, though it seemed to me like a mixture of these two. I speak no Slovenian anyway, I just wanted to help :)

5. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Oh, you did very well! :)

This is the Ljubljana / Gorenjska variety of colloquial Slovenian, by the way; I don't see any specifically Croatian elements, unless you count words such as "čekirati", which may have come into Slovenian from English via BCS.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. pikabu Junior Member

slovene
    Just a "useless" comment ;):

čekirati: is transcription of English "(to) check" [ček] with a Slovenian suffix of verb (-ati).

And it's the same with "klikn" - (to) click [klik] - klikniti; in this case in a shorten imperative form "klikni".

T
    here are lots of these words (anglicisms) in a colloquial Slovene, specialy among young people that are fluent in English and have no troubles with modern technologies (those phrases are from facebook or something like that, I suppose). So I wouldn't say that has to do anything with Croatian or BCS.

And another one: "mesidžirati" - (from message [mesidž]) - to send text messages or writing one; specially used for someone who sends lots of then. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  7. keyl Senior Member

NJ, USA
    Argentina-Spanish / USA
    Thanks very much everybody. wow it looks really complicated, all those dialectal varieties of the same language! I guess that happens in every single language though. In order to understand people from Dominican Republic speaking I had to purchase a 'DICCIONARIO DE DOMINICANISMOS" ! :)