1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Slovenian: Vse znaš, če vse bereš

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by papillon, Aug 31, 2006.

1. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    In the Other Languages forum we have a mystery phrase which we now think is a corruption of a Latin proverb. I found a website where this phrase is translated, I believe into Slovenian:

Cuneta sapis,si cuncta legis -- Latin
    Vse znaš, če vse bereš -- Slovenian ??

Can somebody confirm the slavic language?
    To my Russian ears this means:
    <You> know all that you can take, which I think would be the wrong translation for the Latin phrase. But still, did I get it right?

Also, if someone knows the meaning of the Latin phrase, please post in the original thread.

2. mansio Senior Member

France/Alsace
    I think it is Slovenian too.

3. skye Senior Member

Slovenia
    Slovenian
    It's Slovenian and it means "you know all if you read all."

4. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    So, in Slovenian bereš means <you> read? Intereresting, I guess I was misled by the similarity the the Russian word meaning <you> take. What's the Slovenian word for take?

5. skye Senior Member

Slovenia
    Slovenian
    take - vzeti, you take - vzameš

The most common meaning of "brati" is to read, but it can also have other meanings. For instance "brati jagode" means to pick up strawberries, but it sounds a little poetic or even archaic.

6. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Thank you for the explanation, skye. Now this makes sense to me, particularly given that we have the word взять as well meaning to take.
    In fact, in Russian the verbs
    взять / брать form a perfective/imperfective pair for to take.
    ты берёшь (beresh) you take, you are taking (present)
    ты возьмешь (voz'mesh) you will take (future, because the verb is perfective).

We also собираем ягоды sometimes:D
    (although ягоды is general berries).

Edit: maybe I am "beating a dead horse" here, but is there no other word for read in Slovenian similar to chitat'?

7. skye Senior Member

Slovenia
    Slovenian
    You can find "čitati" in old texts, even in the first half of the 20th century, but then the use just declined and today it is considered archaic (or Croatian or Serbian :D ).

Jagoda can refer to berries (fruit) in general as well, but everyone's first association would be strawberry. You would use jagodičevje to talk about berries in general.

I was the last generation that still had the so called Serbo-Croatian at school and we learnt the cyrillic script too. I sometimes try to read the Serbian text on the various food or cosmetics products - just for fun if I have nothing else to do. But apart from that I'm not really used to reading it and it's kinda difficult for me.

8. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Oh, sorry, I should make sure to include transcriptions, particularly as this was a thread about a Slovenian phrase.
    And thanks for the all the info!:)

9. skye Senior Member

Slovenia
    Slovenian
    No problem.

10. janecito

janecito Senior Member

Γρανάδα, Ισπανία
    Slovene, Slovenia
    The Slovenian equivalent of the Russian aspectual pair взять / брать would be jemati / vzeti. Although the use of verbal aspect in Slovenian language differs from its use in Russian, hence the perfective form wouldn't necessarily mean future tense.

The equivalent of собирать / собрать (ягоды) would be nabirati / nabrati (jagode) and in this case (as skye already explained) brati could be used as an archaic synonym of nabirati.