1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Smile! God made you unique

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by DavidB7, Jul 8, 2013.

1. DavidB7 Junior Member

Español Chile
    I want to say "Smile! God made you unique" to a girl.

Is it correct if I say "Улыбкой. Бог создал вас уникальным"?

Thank you for your help! :)

2. VikNikSor

VikNikSor Senior Member

Russian
    Not quite.
    "Smile!" is a verb in the imperative, so you should say "Улыбнись"
    "Улыбнись! Бог создал вас/тебя уникальной"

3. inerrant Junior Member

Moscow
    Russian
    Улыбнись - if you tell her to do it only once, right now
    Улыбайся - if you tell her to do it always

4. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    Not quite. In this family of contexts:

Улыбнись – in the next instant;
    Улыбайся – either always, or right now.

5. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    As a native speaker of a closely related langauge that uses (almost) the same grammatical structures, but often in a different way, I would like to ask:

Улыбнись – in the next instant; + in a given instant in the future?
    Улыбайся – either always, or right now + often (but not necessarily always)?.

6. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    1. The girl is not smiling right now, but in the next instant, when she hears him, she will. Plus, right, if the other words specified the instant, the verb would refer to the given instant in the future: «улыбнись, когда прочтёшь». This is the next instant after she reads the letter, for example.
    2. Well… Here «улыбаться» means more or less «быть улыбчивой». This is why I said 'always'. But it can mean that she smile 'often' is so specified (for example: «улыбайся почаще»).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  7. Andrean New Member

Moscow
    Русский
    Улыбнуться = to smile
    Улыбаться = to smile :)

She was sad, when funny dog came to her. And when she saw it comming, she улыбнулась (от улыбнуться).
    How the dog explains this:
    "I was returnning home from anti-greenpeace meetting when I saw a girl. She was sad, but when she saw me she улыбнулась (от улыбнуться)".

Another situation:
    A man depicts a person to a policeman. "I think he is a crazy guy, because he улыбается (от улыбаться) all the time".
    How the person explains this:
    "Sir, I always улыбаюсь (от улыбаться), because I feel so good".

If you want a sad person to give you a smile (as a mark of confidence) you say "УЛЫБНИСЬ!"
    If you give to a person an advice (to make his customers to believe him) or a command (to pretend that everything is OK) you say: "УЛЫБАЙСЯ! или УЛЫБАЙТЕСЬ!

Another example:
    "The man that stood all that evenning with a serious countenance, suddenly улыбнулся (от улыбнуться) seeing smth. funny".
    "The man who always улыбался (от улыбаться) became grieviously sad.

Another example:
    A boy to his felow: "Have you seen this? She улыбнулась мне (от улыбнуться)".
    The felow answers: "Она всем улыбается (от улыбаться)".

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  8. Andrean New Member

Moscow
    Русский
    And again...

You cannot say "УЛЫБНИСЬ!" to a smiling man.
    But you CAN say "УЛЫБАЙСЯ!"

And you cannot say "НЕ УЛЫБНИСЬ!" if you want a man to stop smiling.
    If you want a man to stop smiling (or not to smile in some comming circumstances) you say "НЕ УЛЫБАЙСЯ!"

You can't use "Улыбнуться" as action of a continious character (as "He is (were, has been, etc.) smiling"). You can't use it in present tense too. It can be used only in perfect teneses and imperative mood.