1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Smilies for wrong and right

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Rob625, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Rob625

Rob625 Senior Member

Murlo (SI)
    English - England
    I wonder whether it is possible to change the set of available smilies?

I would love to have a quick way of showing that I am giving an example of bad grammar, and another to flag the corrected version. I suppose I could use smile and frown like this:

:( John cans speak the english :(

:) John can speak English :)

But smile and frown are used so much in other ways. It would be good to have specific signs for this purpose.

What do you think?

2. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    I don't think it would be a bad thing........I actually think it is a pretty good idea as long as it isn't to hard to get done

3. Tormenta

Tormenta Senior Member

Lancashire,England
    Argentina-Español
    I think " thumb up/down" could work ; however, it only works on titles (or I don't know how to use it) :eek:

This one is good for bad grammar :eek:

Tormenta

4. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    You could use strikethrough text instead of a smiley, as at least two of us here do. There doesn't seem to be an icon for it above the message composition window, but you can do it by inserting the correct markup text into your message. Before the text that you want to strike through, enter '[ s ]' (but without the spaces; they're just there to stop the VB code from interpreting it as markup code). After the text, enter '[ / s ]' (again without the spaces). You should end up with something that looks like this.

5. Tormenta

Tormenta Senior Member

Lancashire,England
    Argentina-Español

It does not work Actually, it does!!! :D :D

Thank you Garry. Strikethrough!!!.....I'm going to enjoy this :D (my English teacher does it all the time, but she uses red :( )

Tormenta

6. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Oh! That was it! Now I've cottoned on to it!! Thanks Garry!!! :eek:

7. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    ''____Let's see if I can do this...''

Okay!!! Wow, I've always wondered about this. I'm going to practice now!! Thanks for the 'leson' 'lisson'' lesson!

''Why do I end up with quotations?'' See? I don't want quotations. What am I doing wrong?

8. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Well, I still think Rob's idea was good! :)

9. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    no it wasn'tyes, it was!

10. Rob625

Rob625 Senior Member

Murlo (SI)
    English - England
    I have now tried the strikout method, and I think my idea of smilies is better.

:( Strikeout is not available as a button; you have to know how to do it.

:( It involves quite a lot of typing, whereas a smilie can be put with a single click.

:( The result is not easy to read.

:( It doesn't give a way to say 'this is correct', only 'this is wrong'.

If we had, say, a green tick smilie for 'this is correct' and a red cross for 'this is wrong', I think it would be very easy for people to see what they mean and how to use them; and it would be really useful in writing instructional posts.

So I would like to see my suggestion implemented. I had a quick look at the vBulletin FAQs, and I think it should be possible. I will ask Mike.

While we are at it, it would also be useful to have smilies to indicate informal and potentially offensive usage. The Collins-Robert French-English Dictionary has an excellent code which goes like this:

* - expression is not part of the standard language, is used by all educated speakers in a relaxed situation, but would not be used in a formal essay or letter, or where the speaker wishes to impress

** - expression is used by some but not all speakers in a very relaxed situation. Such words should be handled with extreme care by the non-native speaker

*** - means 'Danger!' Such words are liable to offend in any situation, and therefore are to be avoided by the non-native speaker.​
    So my next idea would be to have a smilie to play the role of '*'. Perhaps some form of exclamation mark?

Alternatively, one could three smilies, one for each level; but I think that would be harder to establish as an understood convention.

11. dave

dave Senior Member

London
    UK - English
    Great idea Rob and better than strikethrough for the reasons you've given. At the moment I enclose a 'bad' sentence in asterisks if I'm giving an example of incorrect usage, but I have no idea if anyone understands what I mean!

12. Spicy Senior Member

Milan
    Italy -I like English French and German
    I want try too

13. Spicy Senior Member

Milan
    [/s]second trial[/s] ... and go !

14. Spicy Senior Member

Milan
    third trial be patient.....

15. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Rob, I see your point....smilies would be much cooler

16. quehuong Senior Member

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Rob, I really like the idea of having such smileys in our posts.:)

And how about text graphics?;):p

Correct/Incorrect
    Right/Wrong
    Grammatical/Ungrammatical
    Standard/Nonstandard

In English, French, Spanish, Italian, and German of course.:)

One problem: Currently, we can only embed a few graphics in each post. If a member asks a lot of questions or gives a lot of examples and wants to use 5+ smileys/graphics in his/her post, the bot will automatically ask the member to minimize the number of graphics before the message can be submitted and can appear.

Mr. Kellogg,

Could you lift the Too Many Graphics in Your Message Embargo Act. Pleaze pleaze pleaze?

17. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

This is a fascinating idea, using smilies as the international language of right and wrong.:)

I'm almost certain that we can add custom smilies, and maybe even other in-line graphics, to the forum.

18. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
  19. niña

niña Senior Member

At home
    Spain - Spanish
    That would be cool, mkellogg [​IMG] The 11 static emoticons we have bore me and don't let me express myself [​IMG] Besides I'm fed up with stealing "smilies" from other sites [​IMG]

20. araceli moderadora

Buenos Aires
    Argentine, Spanish
    Good tread!

I'm trying to practise it now, yeah
    In the other hand, I love smilies

21. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

I like Rob's and Quehuong's ideas, but not niña's. (Sorry, I find too much animation distracts from the words.)

Rob, since it was your idea and you are a moderator these days, I'm going to try to put you in charge of the effort. Will you accept?

Just a few emoticons (that's the technical term for smilies) to express correctness, offensiveness, slang, etc. And if we find someone with some ability with graphics (MS Paint would work) they could create some for us.:D

I do find it ironic that, in this forum dedicated to words, we want to express ourselves with emoticons...

Mike

22. araceli moderadora

Buenos Aires
    Argentine, Spanish
    Yes, but I like to see faces too...when I'm talking.

23. Rob625

Rob625 Senior Member

Murlo (SI)
    English - England
    OK, Mike, I'm glad you agree. I will have a look to see what's possible - what vBulletin will let you put in - and what's available. I quite agree that animations would not be suitable.

Rob

24. niña

niña Senior Member

At home
    Spain - Spanish
    Mike, you wouldn't believe how many misunderstandings we could have saved here if we had be able to use a few more of those "animations".

what? Does it happens to you in real life too? Let me show you my surprise with the only "smilie" I have for that purpose --> :eek:

Who said that? I hope that didn't go for me because I don't pretend to express myself just with emoticons, far from it. I'm just saying that sometimes, in written communication, those icons are necessary to compensate for the inability to convey voice inflections, facial expressions, and bodily gestures. It's just a fun way to help get your message across. And I think fun is not incompatible with learning, is it?

Ok, I would have much to say about this subject, but I don't want to waste my valuable time for nothing :p

Good luck with finding a graphic expert :D

25. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Graphic expert? For free?! ;)

26. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Actually, in English Grammar books they use the asterisk to show ungrammatical sentences.
    Eg,

Anna has the will to win
    *Anna has the will of winning

:)

27. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

:tick: Done!

:cross: :warn:

Thanks to you all for the ideas. And be sure to thank Rob625 for doing it!

Mike

28. dave

dave Senior Member

London
    UK - English
    Cool! Well done Mike and Rob :tick: :tick: :tick:

29. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    [​IMG]

Re buenos los nuevos smilies!!! Hoy los encontré y me encantaron!! Gracias Mike y Rob!!!

Art :thumbsup:

30. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Thanks Mike!!! :tick: :warn: :idea: :arrow:

31. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    And Rob :tick: :tick: :tick:

32. quehuong Senior Member

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Thanks, Rob. Great job!:)