SMS language/ chatspeak in English

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by AlxGrim, Dec 19, 2005.

1. AlxGrim

AlxGrim Senior Member

Roma, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    I can understand that writing "b4" instead of "before" saves time, but this Italian youngsters' ;) habit of writing "ke" for "che" or "nn" for "non" really bothers me...
    Can anyone give me more examples of English shortcuts like "b4"?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  2. jupa

jupa Senior Member

English-United States
    We have a bunch of these, (mostly acronyms)!

Later = ltr
    Talk to you later = ttyl
    By the way = btw
    Laugh out loud = lol
    probably = prolly ( I HATE this one!)
    I don't know = dunno
    because = cuz or cos
    pictures = pix or pics
    you = u

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. However, I found these comprehensive lists here and here. I've actually never seen some of them, but I guess it varies from person to person.
  3. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    I h8 any abbreviation involving substituting "ate" with "8", but I see them all the time. C u l8ter. Yuck.
  4. DesertCat Senior Member

inglese | English
    And, gr8.

But I don't care for these abbreviations either because it cre8s poor spelling and grammar habits.
  5. shamblesuk

shamblesuk Senior Member

England, English
    ne1 (anyone)
    Wd (Would)
    Cd (Could)
  6. lsp

lsp Senior Member

US, English
    @ for "at"
    cya = see ya (careful, it also means "cover your ass")
    u r = you are
    ppl = people
    pls = please
    rgds = regards
    2 = to (also: 2day, 2moro, 2nite)
    tx or thx = thanks
  7. Willi

Willi Senior Member

Milano Italy
    Italy - Italian
    Here are some in Italian:

qs=questo, questi, questa etc.
    xché o x'= perché
    tvb=ti voglio bene
    tvtb=ti voglio tanto bene
    cbcr=cresci bene che ripasso (usato anni fa, non so se si dice ancora)
    c 6?= ci sei?
    t tel= ti telefono
  8. AlxGrim

AlxGrim Senior Member

Roma, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    Willi, quel "cibbicierre" mi ha riportato indietro di QUALCHE anno... :))
    Per la cronaca, io ogni tanto lo dico ancora. :D
  9. Willi

Willi Senior Member

Milano Italy
    Italy - Italian
  10. aqidah

aqidah Member

xche' (Perche') (why)

XXX (baci) (kisses)

U (you)

TVB (Ti voglio bene) (I love you)
  11. lsp

lsp Senior Member

US, English
    RTWT = read the whole thing (I was reminded of this one because many in your post are duplicates :))
  12. valy822

valy822 Senior Member

Naples / Milan
    Italy- Italian
    QNDO= quando (when)
    KME= come (how, as...)
    UNI= università (university)
    MM= mi manchi (I miss you)
    TA= ti amo (I love you)

13. luke_77

luke_77 Senior Member

Milan (suburbs)
    Italy - Italian
    Great post! I'll write these abbreviation down.. ... CYA guys! eheh
  14. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I think one of the most used ones in English has been left out, weirdly:

brb! = Be right back!
  15. AmoL'italiano

AmoL'italiano Senior Member

whatcha doin: what are you doing?
    and all the ones I had in my original post.

oooh, and
    bbl: be back later
    bb in a bit: be back in a bit (in a little while)
    yo!: hey!
    wtf!: <warn> what the fuck!
    stfu!: <warn> shut the fuck up! (rude, rude way of saying be quiet!)
  16. Jazzhill Member

Perth, Australia
    What does 'cresci bene che ripasso ' mean?
  17. *Vegan* Senior Member

Italian- Italy
    sn: sono
    cm: come
    tt: tutto
    grz: grazie
  18. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    A couple of others...
    TTFN - ta ta for now,
    and here, later = l8r! Yes, it's disgusting.. The only one I have ever used is 'u'...

19. Pirlo

Pirlo Senior Member

Is there a "Text Message" method to say Per favore, it feels too formal! I've been using Per fav.. but I don't think it makes sense!
  20. arnold_84

arnold_84 Member

Italy - Sardinia - Italiano!!!
    Hi Pirlo! I don't think it's too formal to write "Per favore"... probably it's really nice and correct... but not formal. it's formal to write "cortesemente"... not "Per favore".

In fact... you can write XFvr or XFav or in other way you like. You can also use, basically more diffused, PER PIACERE. It's exactly the same!
    There is not an accurate rule to abbreviate the italian sms words... often even italians don't understand one another!!!

21. callmechia

callmechia Member

Long Island, NY
    United States, English

Che vuol dire "cibbicierre" in Inglese?

Also, I use afk -- away from keyboard -- often!
  22. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    "Cibbicierre" is just the Italian pronunciation of the letters of "cbcr", the SMS message that Willi cited above.

"Cresci bene che ripasso/ritorno" means "Grow up and I'll be back"; it's used for someone who is very attractive but too young. For example, if you thought the actor from Harry Potter was cute, you might say he was "un cbcr."
  23. utente Senior Member

California US
    American English
    YMMV - your mileage may vary

RTFM - read the (') manual

IMO - in my opinion

IMHO - in my humble opinion

NTTAWWT - not that there's anything wrong with that (used as a politically correct phrase whenever somebody says that a person is gay:) )

Come gli altri, non mi piace gr8 e i sui cugini.
  24. marcop_fr Member

Italy, italian
    Hi all!
    Is there anybody who thinks that would be nice/interesting just to speak about using and abusing of all such stuff? Are they definitely a danger for any language? I know that in the past they where used and abused… but it was ONLY in a very restricted context.
    Anyway, also I wouldn’t be stressing…. I use sometimes sms and related… BUT “con molta parsimonia!” J

25. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    My son uses that, and the other son uses TTYL (talk to you later.) Against my own expectations, I've started using textspeak, because my son writes novels, and if I want to reply in kind, and I often do, abbrev., is logical.

Some abbreviations I 've used all my life are impossible to use in text... :(

26. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    I've just learnt a new one:

4t = thought

Needless to say people who write that must have some problems pronouncing the "th" :D
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  27. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Island of Sardinia, Italy
    OMG oh my god
    LOL Lots of Love
  28. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
  29. Marita101

Marita101 New Member

I personally do not think chatspeak words would necessarily ruin grammar or spelling. Of course, you have to be careful. :) But, for example, my friend and I often use SMS-language while chatting online and we still can spell words correctly.
  30. Marita101

Marita101 New Member

If anyone's interested, though, I've found a complete list of English chatspeak words here.
    Although I doubt that all of those are actually used... :)
  31. Ethel_34 Senior Member

Interesting thread - just for everybody's information, this type of abbreviations were not invented by lazy youngsters trying to fit a whole text in one sms. The great Queen Victoria herself used to write "cld" (could), "shd" (should) or "wld" (would) and many others like eveg (evening), etc. in her letters. Guess laziness definitely rhymes with royal highness!
  32. That's true, but even the ancient Romans used to use a lot of abbreviations, then... but they were writing in stones!!!
    The funny thing with SMS chatspeak is that, with the automatic completion systems like T9 and others, most of the times is quicker to write the real word than the abbreviation!!
  33. Ethel_34 Senior Member

Ah ah that is very true indeed!
  34. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    The S in SMS stands for "short", and there certainly used to be a character limit. It needn’t be a question of saving time
  35. I understand Mark, but try to write "tok 2 u l8r" and "talk to you later" with a modern keyboard and then you tell me! I mean, most of the time it's just plain show-off in my opinion, a "you didn't know this,did you?" thing...:(

P.S. I still owe you a beer! :)
  36. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    "X" for "per" is a pre-SMS abbreviation, in Italian ("+" for "più" and "-" for "meno" also derive from how mathematical symbols are pronounced). I've also seen "xké" (instead of "xché") and "tf" for "telefono" or "tel".

And in English, let's not forget LMAO ("laughing my :warn:ass off"), ROTFL ("rolling on the floor laughing") and PML ":warn:pissing myself laughing". :D
  37. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    I disagree with the time saving or showing off hypothesis.

When text messaging was first introduced, the phone companies tried to make a lot of money from young people with text messaging by charging per character. This was a complete scam because texting uses much less bandwidth than voice.

It was considered extremely rude to send a longer than absolutely necessary text message because the recipient had to pay for the extra characters.

It is not unlike the old days when you sent a telegram and paid by the word. I would mix English and Italian words when sending a telegram to get the minimum word count.

Showing off would be texting in Leet. (133+ or 1337 ) LOL (I use xk all the time for perché.)
  38. Alessandrino Senior Member

Isn't this supposed to mean Laughing out loud?

This one's brilliant. Too bad it only works in BrE, where the final 'r' in four is barely audible and has the effect of prolonging the sound of the preceding vowel. Also, the mispronunciation of th (/θ/) is a distinctive feature of cockney and Estuary accents. Interestingly 4t could also serve as an abbreviation to fought.
  39. Thank you Bill, this is very valuable information, thanks! I didn't have any idea that in the US you are supposed to pay also when you are on the receiving side; it is something I have learnt in this forum. It is totally out of Italian (and I think European) culture. We only pay for receiving text if it is a premium service (like weather reports or credit card alerts). We pay for receiving calls when on roaming, but not for receiving texts.
    I miss all of this experience... I pretend to be a geek but I'm only an old grumbling fart...:(:)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  40. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    Unless you have a very poor mobile phone plan, today you have unlimited text messaging. Chatspeak is now technically obsolete. It lingers on as a kind of CB radio lingo of the 21st century.
  41. So things have turned upside down! In Europe (at least Italy and the UK) unlimited text is still an allowance in most cases (e.g. you top up 10 pounds and you have unlimited text for the next month) unless you have a rather expensive plan. This both if you are on contract or Pay As You Go; contracts with unlimited text are on the expensive side.

Misteries of marketing science...:)
  42. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)