snakes = Crawl / slither?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by esl student, Jul 2, 2009.

1. esl student Senior Member

Mexico
    Spanish-Mexico
    If I want to say
    "Snakes don`t have legs so they can`t walk, they crawl/slither"
    What would be the correct way.

2. Dario de Kansas

Dario de Kansas Senior Member

Kansas, USA
    American English
    Slither. :tick:

You have to have legs to crawl. :)

3. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    I agree with Kansas. Snakes slither. Spiders crawl. However, sometimes people are compared to snakes in a derogatory sense; for example, "there's a whole bunch of lawyers slithering around here" (You could also substitute "crawling" here to compare them to spiders or whatever animal or insect that crawls). In other words, to dehumanize someone. I'm just making a counterpoint that you can have legs and still be able to slither. That, and take a potshot at lawyers.

4. Anand India New Member

Hindi-India
    I dont agree with the above guy as another meaning of crawl is "dragging the body close to the ground", so you can use slither as well as crawl in context with the reptiles.

5. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-[PR]
    I agree with Anand India. The word reptile comes from their moving action: reptant

rept
    (biology) creeping, crawling, or lying along the ground.
    from Latin reptāre to creep creeping or crawling

L reptans, prp. of reptare, to crawl, creep: see reptile

reptar 2. (Del lat. reptāre). 1. intr. Andar arrastrándose como algunos reptiles.
    Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

reptant Zoology creeping or crawling action.
    Origin Mid 17th century: from Latin reptant-, from the verb reptare 'to creep'.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-[PR]
  7. joseluisgarletti

joseluisgarletti Senior Member

Cordoba, Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    I agree with nellio153 in the sense that the verb "crawl" is not only associated with people (i.e. Babies crawl) but also with snakes (snakes crawl/ creep)

>slither: this verb is also used to refer to serpents but sometimes, it is associated with different objects that may mimic the movements of these reptiles, such as a rope for example.

Hope it works.