sniggering snickering

Discussion in 'English Only' started by OhMan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. OhMan Junior Member

English, AUS
    sniggering snickering, snigger, snicker

Is one wrong and one right? Are they used depending on different region? Do the words have identical meaning?

I thank you for your contributions.

Oh_Man.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Good question, Oh Man. I've heard both. I use "snicker". M-W's unabridged lists "snigger" as a variation of "snicker". M-W's collegiate version only lists "snicker". I'd call "snigger" a variant common in some dialects.

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    In my experience, snicker is American and snigger is British. I've grown to like snigger better -- it just sounds a little more smirky and sarcastic. :) In most contexts, I believe their meaning is the same.

4. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    They mean the same thing and are both listed in both American and British dictionaries. Snigger is simply a variant of snicker; the latter predates the former by about a century.

5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    The Concise Oxford does note that snigger is chiefly British.

6. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    I have only come across 'snicker' in American sources. It's the name of a chocolate bar here- strange name.

Hermione

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Snickers, actually: In 1930, the Mars family introduced its second product, Snickers, named after their favorite horse.

It still may make you snigger (he said, reining his horse in the direction of the topic).

8. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just on a point of detail:): the OED's earliest citation for snicker is
    1694 P. A. Motteux tr. Rabelais Wks. iv. lii, While he said this, the Maidens began to snicker at his Elbow, grinning, giggling and twittering among themselves.
    And its earliest citation for snigger is:
    1706 Phillips's New World of Words (ed. 6) , To Snicker or Snigger.
    Snicker always feels, to me, as if it involves a higher-pitched sound than snigger - I suppose that's because of snicker's other meaning 'whinny', a meaning which snigger does not have.

9. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    I use snigger unless there's an overzealous swear filter in place which turns snigger into s******.

10. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    OhMan, what do you hear in Australia? Snigger or snicker?

11. OhMan Junior Member

English, AUS
    Thanks for the replies. I think I hear "snicker" a lot more then "snigger". Most of the literature I read and movies/TV shows I watch are American/British however, so I really can't comment much.

"Snicker" just reminds me of the chocolate bar, and of derisive laughter, whereas "snigger" makes me think of the sound a horse makes.

12. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    You may already know that it's snicker for a horse, but considering their deep voices you would think snigger was closer, wouldn't you?