1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

So do I and So am I

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Mack&Mack, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Mack&Mack Senior Member

Korea & Korean
    Hello,

I am wondering how it would sound if I said, So am I, when someone told me, I get easily addicted to things.

I know that I should say So do I, but do you think that So am I here is likely to be heard, meaning I am easily addicted to things?

What do you think? Thank you in advance.

2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

It would sound distinctly odd to me, Mack&Mack. To me it would sound like it was disconnected from the previous statement entirely. I would wonder if you had heard what the other person said.

3. envie de voyager Senior Member

Niagara Falls, Canada
    english-canadian
    I believe that "So am I " would only respond to statements containing the verb "to be." You would use "So can I" to respond to statements about abilities. You would use "So do I" to respond to any statement containing any other verb.

Of course, these are all responses to statements in the present tense. To respond to statements about the past or future, you would use "So did I" or "So will I."

The easy way out is to respond to everything with "me, too."

4. Mack&Mack Senior Member

Korea & Korean
    Thank you, JamesM and envie de voyager. I have never heard someone say it.

The thing is that my listening comprehension is a bit too poor to catch every single word in dialogs, so I end up saying something that sounds silly or unnatural as a response. I then come to wonder how I would sound in such cases.

It seems that I need to be more careful with what I say or stick to me, too. =)

Thank you for your answers.

5. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    Try "I agree", it sounds better in many circumstances.

6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Unless, of course, the person has just said, "I am an incorrigible slob." ;) Personally, I think "I agree" can get you into much more trouble than "me, too."