So much, he thought, for the amenities

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by lilly jo, Feb 20, 2013.

1. lilly jo Senior Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    Hello everyone.

I'm reading Asimov's The Caves of Steel and I'd like some help to check if I understood this expression correctly. Here's the fragment:

Fastolfe said, “Let me introduce myself a bit more specifically. I am in charge of the investigation of the murder of Dr. Sarton at the Spacetown end as Commissioner Enderby is at the City end. If I can help you in any way, I stand ready to do so. We are as eager for a quiet solution of the affair and prevention of future incidents of the sort as any of you City men can be.” “Thank you, Dr. Fastolfe,” said Baley. “Your attitude is appreciated.”
    So much, he thought, for the amenities. He bit into the center of the apple and hard, dark little ovoids popped into his mouth. He spat automatically. They flew out and fell to the ground. One would have struck Fastolfe’s leg had not the Spacer moved it hastily.
    (http://www.e-reading-lib.org/chapter.php/70849/7/Azimov_1_The_Caves_of_Steel.html)

The idea is that Baley is trying to be polite and corteous and keep the peace, is it correct? Did I get it right?

Thank you,
    lilly jo

2. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    << The idea is that Baley is trying to be polite and corteous and keep the peace, is it correct? Did I get it right? >>

I think so.

"Chega de amenidades. Basta de amenidades. Agora vamos deixar as amenidades pra lá....."

3. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    O Dr. Fastolfe é que havia entrado "de sola" no assunto, após um período de cortesias (servindo a fruta que Baley tanto estranhou, por ter sido criado num mundo onde toda a comida é industrializada, além de ser feita de fungos). Baley apenas constatou para si que o doutor havia finalmente deixado a cortesia de lado, e que iriam realmente começar a falas sobre o caso que ele investigava. Ele não queria ser educado, e provavelmente estava impaciente com a tegiversação de Fastolfe, querendo ir direto ao assunto.

4. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Esta interpretação foi bem melhor...

5. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    É que eu já li o "Caves of Steel"...

6. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Deu para perceber, rsrsrs. (Aliás, aqui no Sul, se diz: Deu de perceber.) Abraços.

7. lilly jo Senior Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    Obrigada, Joca e mglenadel.