1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

so oder so

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Lelleo50, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Lelleo50 Junior Member

English
    In this newspaper article about an event the writer attended, he explains that boredom did not set in/ensue in the following sentence:

"Langeweile stellte sich so oder so nicht ein." How would you translate the 'so oder so' in this sentence? Is it the equivalent of 'sowieso'? If so, does it have slightly more negative/positive nuances at all?

Thanks for your help!

2. Liam Lew's Senior Member

Hi Lelleo50, the term "so oder so" can be translated as "anyways". There is another German term that reads "sowieso" and implies the same meaning. You can translate the mentioned sentence as: "Boredom didn't set in anyways. And yes, I think the term "so oder so" and the term "sowieso" add a more negative nuance to the sentence:cross:. For me this two terms add an aspect of hopelessness and a low probability to the sentence.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Can you give more context?
    The difference between "sowieso" and "so oder so" is not big, but I feel there is one.
    "Sowieso"="anyways".
    "So oder so" = you can do it this way or that way, it does not change ...
    Generally I agree with Liams statement "For me this two terms add an aspect of hopelessness and a low probability to the sentence."
    But it depends on context.

We have: "Langeweile stellte sich so oder so nicht ein."
    Langeweile is negative context.
    The statement is: Whatever was done the situation did not become boring. This is negation of negation and seems to be positive.
    So I think, it is not negative here.
    To decide it, more context could help.

4. Liam Lew's Senior Member

Yes I agree with you Hutschi, I also think there is a slightly difference between "sowieso" and "so oder so" but I can't specify this slightly difference. And a bit more context as Hutschi already mentioned would be really helpful.

5. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    German/Germany
    so oder so nicht / ohnehin nicht / sowieso nicht = neither this was nor another

In any case, boredom had no chance.
    Boredom did'nt came up anyway.

There is no negative connotation at all. The phrase is neutral to positive. It just emphasises the statement.

6. Liam Lew's Senior Member

Sorry Lelleo50, I answered too fast. Of course there is no negative connotation. The term "so oder so" as Kajjo said already, emphasizes the statement. It also adds the aspect of "you can do this or that to the situation it won't change anything". (hopelessness) No matter what you do the situation will stay as it is.

7. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    "So oder so" can also be "Wie dem auch sei".

If it emphasizes the statement, it adds either positiveness or negativeness. It is - as Kajjo said - not by itself positive or negative.

So oder so, es kann vom Kontext abhängen.
    = Ob man dem einen oder dem anderen Argument folgt" --- here "sowieso" does not work.
    Here it summarizes arguments. I think in this context it does not emphasize arguments, it is just a rhetorical tool and emphasizes the structure.

8. Lelleo50 Junior Member

English
    Thanks all. This is all very helpful. I think the best translation from various bits of feedback and dictionary links (http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/so+oder+so.html) is 'in any case' or 'either way'.

So in 'boredom didn't set in/ensue in any case OR anyway'. He then goes on to describe why not - it was an exciting performance.

Thanks for your help.

9. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    It means one way or the other---either choice leads to the same result. Whichever alternative you choose, you won't be bored.