So stellt ein Jagdhieb das Verhältnis wieder her

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by StockholmBoy, Sep 4, 2013.

1. StockholmBoy Senior Member

English
    Hi there. I seem to have come across another sentence which defies literal translation.

"Sie scheinen fast dazu da, den Reisenden in seiner Eigenschaft als komische Figur sichtbar zu machen - gehört man dagegen zur regierenden Schicht, so stellt ein Jagdhieb das Verhältnis wieden her."

The background: the author is describing the overcrowded streets of a town on the African coast. Now, in particular, he's referring to the pushy people begging for money or trying to sweet-talk you into buying their trinkets. And the gist of what he says seems to be that they appear to make the traveller/tourist look slightly comical. But because they belong to a higher social class (presumably as whites as opposed to the black beggars), he goes on to say that such "condition" "delivers/establishes a...and here trouble begins: should I translate Jagdhieb quite literally as "knock-out blow"?The mind boggles.

2. ayuda?

ayuda? Senior Member

I think maybe the whole thing has to be translated to put that underlined section in perspective—it does defy literal translation.

Just an attempt at the translation to get things started:
    1.)"Sie scheinen fast dazu da, den Reisenden in seiner Eigenschaft als komische Figur sichtbar zu machen
    2.)- gehört man dagegen zur regierenden Schicht,
    3.) so stellt ein Jagdhieb das Verhältnis wieden her." [wieder vs. wieden??]

1.) They seemed to be there almost to show the traveler in his comical role
    2.)—whether he belonged to the upper class or not
    3.) That’s the relationship/impression/ the blow from the those following him/hunting him down?? [ the poor black kids] produced/made
    Note: [#3] Very loose translation—given the background you gave.
    Judging from your excellent preparation, I think that “blow” is good here, but “knock-out blow”
    could work just as well, which you can determine best from what came before and after in the reading leading up to this point.
    Help any??
    l Always helpful to get the opinion of a Muttersprachler.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Gehört man dagegen zur regierenden Schicht, so stellt ein Jagdhieb das Verhältnis wieder her.

means seomething like

However, if one belongs to the upper class, a knock-out blow will set things right again.

4. StockholmBoy Senior Member

English
    Thank you Ayuda and Demiurg. Much appreciated. And I'm also quite relieved: I wasn't completely far off.

5. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    I just found this definition of "Jagdhieb":

It's a blow that shows the (hunting) dog who's the master. I think that fits the situation well.

6. ayuda?

ayuda? Senior Member

Demiurg:

Now I see the relationship of the last 2 sentences [wieder herstellen = restore]. You area bsolutely right! I’m afraid my attempt was way off here.

l How would you translate the word Jagdhieb by itself? What is the relationship of Jagd here?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Here's another explanation:

8. StockholmBoy Senior Member

English
    Very interesting. What would I do without this forum?