So that I Love and Cherish Forever

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by JSilv19, Feb 6, 2013.

1. JSilv19 New Member

English
    Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm looking to have the above phrase translated into Latin. My grandmother, who taught Latin at the high school level, passed recently and left the family a summer house. As a family we want to do a few things around the house to remind us of her, as well as my Grandfather who also passed a few years back. I am doing a garden and want to engrave the above saying in the center-piece. I have seen this written a few different ways across the web, and although I didn't pick up as much as I would have liked from my Grandmother, none of them seemed right.

A couple notes:
    -I want the statement to be general in nature to symbolize not only my grandparents, but the family as a whole.
    -The "So that" portion of the phrase is meant to indicate purpose rather than a subject.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. I'm convinced she will haunt me if I get the grammar wrong!

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings!

What a lovely and humane thing to do. It needs sensitive treatment, of course.

Perhaps it might be best to start with putting the singular "I" into a plural, "we"? This "we" would embrace the reader, as well as the bereaved and the dedicatee, and the family as a whole.

But you also want something pithy and epigrammatic, as well as (obviously) affectionate in tone.

Here then my first suggestion - but others may improve on it, or indeed I on maturer thought:

amemus, curemus, meminerimus

"Let us love, let us care, let us remember"

ut requiescat anima eius.

3. JSilv19 New Member

English
    amemus, curemus, meminerimus

"Let us love, let us care, let us remember"

ut requiescat anima eius.[/QUOTE]

I quite like that. Is there a word for "let us cherish"? If I could add that it would be perfect. Thank you so much for your reply. Truly grateful.

4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Another proposal

amemus, meminerimus, foveamus

"Let us love, remember and - cherish" - fovere was the best verb I could think of here. But it usually implies physical fondling, as that, affectionately, of lovers or of a mother her baby. So I'm not sure it carries the nuances you want here.

5. JSilv19 New Member

English

That works. Thanks again for your help.