so that they don't stare / wouldn't stare at me

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by ramelot80, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ramelot80 Senior Member

València
    Español Spanish
    Hola, tengo que corregir unas frases en las que hay un error y me aparece la siguiente:

I'll join a gym so that early-morning joggers would not have to stare at me if they see me doing my exercises in the park.

No se cual de estas dos correciones estaría bien o si las dos estan mal y es otra, por favor, ilústrenme;)

I'll join a gym so that early-morning joggers do not stare at me if they see me doing my exercises in the park.

I'll join a gym so that early-morning joggers would not stare at me if they see me doing my exercises in the park.

Muchas gracias a todos por vuestra ayuda!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  2. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Voto por la segunda.

3. srb62 Senior Member

Scotland
    British English
    The first option is the best - 'would' doesn't sound quite right. It may even be that 'strictly speaking' even the first option isn't technically correct and 'if' might be better replaced with 'when' - though I'm not sure of this.

Just one thing, though
    I'm not sure this really is an issue of a true conditional. Or, put another way, there are three things going on (joining a gym, doing exercise and staring), and it's not clear to me which two you want to be related by the condition - if that makes sense? One try might be:
    "I'll join a gym so that if they see me doing exercises in the park ('if'+present simple) the early morning joggers won't stare at me (future tense) - giving you a first conditional.

4. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I don't think any of the options make sense because of the use of the "if" phrase. The idea is that if you join a gym, you won't be doing your exercises in the park, but the "if they see me" part of the phrase implies that you will still be doing your exercises in the park. That's a contradiction.

I'll join a gym so that early-morning joggers will not have to stare at me if they see me doing my exercises in the park (i.e. because I won't be there).

5. ramelot80 Senior Member

València
    Español Spanish
    You are right, there are three things going on in this sentence. I have choosen the title conditionals because it is the subject I'm studying now and this is the sentece I must try to put right. I do not know if any of my attepmts are right, I only know that the question has something wrong on it and I'm not sure what it is. Thaks alot for your time.