1. Nalala Senior Member

How do you say in English " Sobrecargo", refered to plains (the chief of the rest of flight attendant).

2. Hi Nalala,

I think you should put the term in the box (of the dictionary) and choose any of the various answers you'll get.
  3. Nalala Senior Member

Hi Josema Sevilla,:I´ve just tried it, but the meanings doesn´t convince me, as I believe that there is another translation for this word, (but i cannot remember it).
    Thank you!
  4. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.
    ¿No te convence "Chief Flight Attendant"? Mira bien aquí en la cuarta opción.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  5. Nalala Senior Member

Hola!, no es que no me convenza, es que si mal no lo recuerdo, había otra palabra muy específica....pero no pasa nada: me quedo con esa opción (quizá este equivocada yo):)!!!!!!!!

¡¡¡Mil gracias a todos por vuestra ayuda!!!!!!!
  6. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.
    ¿"Chief Steward/ess"?
  7. speedier

speedier Senior Member

Another possibility - Purser?
  8. Tigris

Tigris New Member

Reino Unido/México
    Español de México-Tenochtitlán
  9. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.
    More and more like shipping titles, wonder why? Is it because it's shorter? Or because airplanes are, in fact, airships?

Saludos, t.
  10. Caleidoscopio

Caleidoscopio Senior Member

Spain, Canary Islands
    Spain spanish
    Major airlines have several managers on big aircrafts. BA, for instance, calls the main responsible "Flight Manager", then they have one purser per cabin (this is for aircrafts such as B777 or A380). But the word PURSER is known worldwide among fligh staff
  11. elcarnicero88 Senior Member

I'm not sure about the technicalities of it, but in the vernacular, I've heard all flight attendants referred to as "sobrecargos" in Mexico. Technically, however, there may be some distinction between the manager and those under the manager's charge.

In the US, "Flight attendant" is the correct term. "Stewardess" is no longer considered politically correct, as this is a feminine term, and many flight attendants are now male.