Solicitor / Notario / Notary

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Almighty Egg, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Almighty Egg

Almighty Egg Senior Member

Valencia, España
    English (British)
    In the dictionary here it says:
    It also says: "see note under abogado", but I can't find it.

Can anyone tell me what exactly these functions are?
    When is a solicitor acting as an abogado and when as notario?

And if you could also explain... what does a notary do that a solicitor doesn't? Or vice-versa.

I'm sorry but legal terminology is not my forté, so try and make any explanations in layman's terms!

2. Kibramoa

Kibramoa Senior Member

Deep South, U.S.A.
    Spanish - MX
    Here is the note in abogado:

I found this info regarding notaries & solicitors.
    Wait for someone from the U.K. or a legal expert to give you more information.
  3. Almighty Egg

Valencia, España
    English (British)
    Thanks Kibramoa, that's very useful for a start.

I was looking for a note that said something about solicitors acting as notaries, but that note doesn't mention notaries at all.

Let's hope a UK legal expert pops up.

4. David Senior Member

I do not understand the question. What are you trying to translate? Where is the context? Which word is giving you trouble? What use of the term "notary" are you referring to? This makes no sense to me except that somehow two different terms, solicitor and notary, neither of which is in Spanish, are involved.
  5. Almighty Egg

Valencia, España
    English (British)
    Hello David.
    I'm not trying to translate any specific text, there is no context other than the dictionary definition given in the first post.

The definition states that the English word solicitor is generally translated as abogado, but that solicitors also carry out some functions of a notario, and can also be translated as such.

I'd like to know when solicitor is translated as notario and why.

6. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    Hola Almighty Egg:

Un notario es en principio un "notary public": alguien a medio camino entre un profesional liberal y un funcionario público que interviene documentos públicos de derecho privado para dar fe de ellos. Algunas de las funciones que en España desempeña un notario, como por ejemplo, asistir en la confección y custodiar testamentos, tengo entendido que en el Reino Unido las realizan los solicitors. Un notario puede y debe dar consejo legal sobre los actos en los que interviene. Un notario no defiende a nadie ante ningún tipo de tribunal. Esa tarea la desempeñan los abogados.

Sin embargo, no creo que se pueda dar a priori una traducción válida para todos los casos basándose solo en las funciones que desempeña cada uno. La traducción puede variar de acuerdo con la naturaleza de cada documento y el destino para el cual se quiere.
  7. speedier

speedier Senior Member

It's not my field, but maybe this link will be of some help, supplied via a solicitor friend of mine.
  8. speedier

speedier Senior Member

And I've just received this additional information from my solicitor friend, which may be of assistance:

A Notary is a qualified lawyer. In the UK Notaries are appointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury and subject to regulation by the Court of Faculties.

Notaries are primarily concerned with the authentication and certification of signatures and documents for use abroad.

They are also authorised to conduct general legal practice and may exercise the powers of a Commissioner for Oaths.

There are only about 900 Notaries Public practising in England and Wales.

In order to become a Notary you have to be a solicitor first and then study and take exams.

Hope it helps.
  9. Almighty Egg

Valencia, España
    English (British)
    Gracias ampurdan, esto me sirve para aclarar mis dudas.
    Me pregunto si existen más funciones de los cuales se encargan los notarios de aquí y los solicitors de allá.

Y gracias a speedier también por toda la información sobre el rol de los notarios en ambos paises.

10. LisaSimpson0 New Member

Español (Chile)
    Siendo una novata en esto, tratré de hacer algun aporte.

La definición otorgada por Almighty Egg se refiere (creo) a que los 'solicitors' son abogados que (bajo ciertas circunstancias) pueden actuar como Notario (en UK); en el sentido de certificar la autenticidad de ciertos documentos.

Sin embargo, en el contexto de ciertas jurisdicciones (como en Chile o creo en las de Derecho Codificado en general) un Notario debe contar -como requisito- con el título profesional de Abogado, pero luego de ser designado Notario ya no podrá ejercer privadamente como tal.

Para mayor claridad les presento la siguiente definición de Notarios: “Son ministros de fe pública encargados de autorizar y guardar en su archivo los instrumentos que ante ellos se otorguen, de dar a las partes interesadas los testimonios que pidieren, y de practicar las demás diligencias que la ley les encomiende” (art. 399 Código Organico de Tribunales de Chile).

Saludos a todos!
  11. hermenator

hermenator Senior Member

A lawyer is a generic term for anyone who went and graduated from Law School.

A notary is a term used in USA, Mexico, and other countries. A solicitor in UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and some others.
    They pretty much do the same (contracts, deeds, oaths, etc). But, I believe a solicitor has a broader scope of activities.

Given that you have to go to Law School in order to be a lawyer or solicitor. Conversely, in some jurisdictions like the US, you don't have to go to Law School in order to be a Notary. However, in other jurisdictions, such as Mexico, you must.
  12. Hulalessar Senior Member

English - England
    None of the English legal professions correspond exactly with the Spanish legal professions. As mentioned above, notaries are rarely required in England and Wales except in relation to business conducted elsewhere; certainly all ordinary business and property transactions can be carried out without one. With the exception of scrivener notaries who operate in the City of London, no one earns a living from conducting purely notarial business and most notaries are in fact also solicitors.