1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Some handwriting

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by airelibre, Oct 22, 2013.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Could you fill in the gaps in my knowledge for what this note says?

לכל ה?ים וה?ות,
    (גם אלה [שניסו?] ? בזמן
    ? בפייסבוק)
    ריגשתם אותי מאד ביום [הולדתי/הולדת!?]
    אני גאה להיות ראש הממשלה שלכם
    תמיד שלכם
    ? נתניהו

Would this be considered good/bad handwriting? Also, I'm curious: in Israel, do you have the same stereotype of every GP/doctor having terrible handwriting? (It's also kind of a way for any messy writer to excuse themselves from appearing dumb)

Also, how common is it for signatures to use joined-up writing like Netanyahu's here?

Attached Files:

2. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    לכל המברכים והמברכות,
    (גם אלה שניסוּ לברך בזמן התקלה בפייסבוּק)
    ריגשתם אותי מאוד ביום הולדתי.
    אני גאה להיות ראש הממשלה שלכם
    תמיד שלכם
    {חתימה}

In my opinion, it is a clear and stylish handwriting. Yes, doctors are infamous everywhere in having terrible handwriting.

Such signatures are quite common. Just note that Netanyahu's signature appears to include only the initial of his given name.

3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Thanks for the answer, the writing is clear to me now.

I didn't realise and was kind of surprised that he wrote those two shuruks (on shenisu and befeisbuk), is there any reason?

Is יום הולדתי the natural way of saying "my birthday"? It seems quite formal to me. היומולדת שלי is what I'd say but I'm not native. Maybe היומולדת is too informal for the PM to write, but what about יום ההולדת שלי?

I wasn't sure if the first initial in his signature was representing ב, but I now I see that it is the same as the one in לברך. Interesting that some of his ב flick forwards and some flick backwards.

4. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    I don't think there is any reason in particular for the Shuruks, but I guess you'll have to ask him or maybe follow more pieces of his handwriting.

In general, using the posessive suffixes is a bit more formal than using the ה___ שלי form, but in blessings, and I guess that also in thank you notes, it's quite common, let alone that the man is about 60 years old.

The contraction of יום הולדת to יומולדת is colloquial, perhaps as the English contractions of wanna or gotcha. If you're asking about יום הולדתי vs. יום ההולדת שלי, I'd say that to me they are not very different.

That is intersting, but I'm no graphologist. :)

5. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    He's 64 now! I wouldn't have guessed. Thanks for the help.