somebody bounced a little

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ridgemao, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ridgemao Senior Member

Beijing
    Mandarin Chinese
    When the car hit the speed bump on the road, the passengers on the car would bounce a little(I mean the passengers would be forced to jump a little on their seats.). Can I use the word "bounce" here?

When the bus was bumping down the rough road, some passengers almost bounced out of their seats. Can I use the word "bounce" here?

Does the "bounce" mean sb moves up and down here?

Thanks.

2. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Yes, bounce would be ok here. Your understanding of it is correct.

Please try to avoid using "sb" as an abreviation of "somebody"; they frown upon its usage in these forums. :)

3. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    >When the bus was bumping down the rough road, some passengers almost bounced out of their seats. Can I use the word "bounce" here?

I'd prefer it if it were 'passivised':
    "When the bus was bumping down the rough road, some passengers were almost bounced out of their seats."
    "When the bus was bumping down the rough road, some passengers would be almost bounced out of their seats."
    "When the bus was bumping down the rough road, some passengers would almost be bounced out of their seats."

In my view, if someone bounces out of their seat, that usually implies enthusiasm.