1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Someone that no questions nothing learns...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by A-friend, Oct 5, 2013.

1. A-friend

A-friend Senior Member

Tehran
    Persian (Farsi)
    In Persian language we have a saying which says, asking a question about you do not know, is not your fault, but if you really do not know anything about it and you do not ask anything about it, this can be counted as your fault.
    I found several equivalents for this proverb in English and finally selected two of them; I wonder if you could help me to realize which one of them is more in common use among natives?
    a) Who that no questions nothing learns
    b) Better to ask the way than go astray
    -------------------------------------------
    [Source: A dictionary of proverbs and colloquial idioms; Written by Dr. Teimouri]
    [I guess both of them can convey the matter in my question but “b” sounds more similar to an English original proverb]

2. rhitagawr

rhitagawr Senior Member

British English
    I haven't heard either of these two sayings. The first one is grammatically incorrect anyway. You could say, for example, He who asks no questions learns nothing.(The He who sounds a bit archaic.) At least B rhymes. I can't think of a saying which conveys your idea.

3. A-friend

A-friend Senior Member

Tehran
    Persian (Farsi)
    You mean that B sounds more rhythmic? What would you say instead to convey such a concept? Just simply saying "He who asks no questions learns nothing" suffices or as you mentioned "b" sounds more rhythmic and appropriate?

4. rhitagawr

rhitagawr Senior Member

British English
    Your (a) is grammatically incorrect. This fact alone means that (b) is better than your (a). Your (b) rhymes. Not that proverbs have to rhyme or be rhythmic. My suggestion was just that - a suggestion for the idea you wish to convey. It's not an established saying or proverb.