1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

someone who listens to many different kinds of music [word?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ermaks, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Ermaks Junior Member

Santa Fe, Santa Fe
    Argentina,Español
    what do you call someone who listen to many different kinds of music?

Compound word?

Ernesto

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    I can't think of any word to describe what you mean.
    I would say: "He / she has broad tastes in music".

PS: What do you call someone who listen to many different kinds of music?

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Me neither, Ernesto. I'd say he has broad or wide-ranging or eclectic or catholic tastes in music.

4. MilkyBarKid Senior Member

British English
    SwissPete: What do you call someone who listen to many different kinds of music?

"What do you call someone who listens to many different kinds of music?"

5. Ermaks Junior Member

Santa Fe, Santa Fe
    Argentina,Español
    Ahhh thanks for the answers and sorry for the gramatical mistakes, I thought I had written it down correctly.

PD:in a finite dependent clause do you use the indicative or subjunctive?

... Who listen or Who listens?

Ernesto

6. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
  7. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Missed that one, didn't I? :(:D

8. Ermaks Junior Member

Santa Fe, Santa Fe
    Argentina,Español
    I heard it from a recording, where a guy didn't know what to call "someone who listen to different kind of music". So he said that

9. Ermaks Junior Member

Santa Fe, Santa Fe
    Argentina,Español
    I'm still not content with "ecletic". There must be another that everyone uses everyday

10. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    We did give you other commoner alternatives, Ernesto (broad, wide-ranging).

11. mannoushka Senior Member

Iran/Persian
    Can the word 'connoisseur', meaning someone who knows a great deal about the arts and artistic products, be used here?

12. Ermaks Junior Member

Santa Fe, Santa Fe
    Argentina,Español
    Ok, ill see if it fits =)

13. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Well, you could certainly describe someone as a connoisseur of music, Mannoushka. It's not exactly the same thing, though. That suggests someone who's extremely knowledgeable about music. Because of the high register of the word connoisseur, in practice it would tend to mean 'high class' music, i.e. classical music. (Unless you said, e.g., he's a connoisseur of rap and gangsta ... which sounds kind of odd:D)

14. mannoushka Senior Member

Iran/Persian
    I see! Thanks, ewie! I suddenly remembered that a connoisseur can be an expert on a thing or things not necessarily related to art. One hears of 'wine connoisseurs', for example.

How about a 'music buff'? Does this term, too, connote a special taste in music?

15. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    No, this only means that someone knows a lot about music.
    You can be a music buff if you only like classical music, so it doesn't express the idea of liking a varied set of styles.

For me there is no word that fits the description, just the phrase "I like / am a person that likes all sorts of music".
    Which is true for me as I can go from Beethoven, to Jewish Klezmer, Arabic Pop to medieval choral music and end up on Italian rap mixed in with shred guitar (you should see my YT playlist :p), so when someone asks me what music I like, that's the answer I usually give (the short phrase; no one-word answer).

16. mannoushka Senior Member

Iran/Persian
    OK, I give up! There are no words to describe Alxmrphi's having such varied tastes in music. Thanks, Alxmrphi, as well for opening my eyes to what there is to listen to!

17. cyn1014

cyn1014 New Member

It's called Eclectic, :D And no it's not a compound word. At least I don't think it is. :eek: Here is the definition of Compound Word. A compound word is formed when two words are joined together to make a new word. Here's an example of a compound word, the words butter and fly, when you put them together they spell butterfly. You can go to thesaurus.com or dictionary.com to find the answers you seek. ;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012