something strange in a sentence

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pollyjean, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pollyjean

pollyjean Junior Member

Italy
    Italy Italian
    Hi.

In a test I'm asked to find out something 'strange'/unusual in this sentence from the novel "Princess Hannah" by Jerome Charyn:

"Harrington had his own silent poetry - the deep sadness in his face - but that wasn't enough."

They gave me no further context or explanation, only that the sentence is 'grammatically correct'. Is it about the preposition 'in' instead of 'on'?
    I can't notice any other 'unusual' form, but I'm still not sure about it.

Could someone be helpful?
    Thanks.

2. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Strange, I wouldn't use "in his face" or "on his face".......

I would probably say "There's something about his face that suggests a kind of deep sadness" (ohoh, too long, sorry :p)

3. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

London
    New Zealand - English
  4. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

Chicago
    English, USA
    I have no idea what they could be looking for.

5. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    If the sentence is 'gramatically correct,' then maybe it's something else you should be looking for.
    I would find it a lot more natural to say "deep sadness in his eyes," for instance, rather than "in his face."

6. sarahjuanita Junior Member

England, English
    The only " strange" thing they could be referring to is the usage of hyphens to replace conjunctions???? I'm not sure whether this is what they're looking for but it might be something to comment on as it is not a usual/everyday grammatical structure...

The first hyphen is used to replace a phrase like 'which was' - it gives the sentence a more poetic tone perhaps.

7. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    pollyjean,

I agree with you! An emotion wouldn't be in his face. It would be etched by various facial expressions on the surface of his face.

AngelEyes

8. sarahjuanita Junior Member

England, English
    I'd say using 'in' as it has been used in the example above is fairly common in literature/poetry, particularly when used to link an emotion to a part of the body. I don't think it is particularly strange for this context but obviously you wouldn't hear it in everyday language.

9. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    "Harrington had his own silent poetry - the deep sadness in his face - but that wasn't enough."

For a start, are you sure you type the right dashes, that is, --the deep sadness in his face--? Here we should use dashes instead of hyphens.
    Second, what does "but that wasn't enough" refer to? This part is very fishy?

10. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Would you say:

"...a small smile in his lips"
    "the censure of a frown in his brow"

I would use on in these two examples.

I would use in when referring to the eyes, though. :rolleyes:

Still, if you only have this one sentence to work with, I'd go with the preposition.

pollyjean, Is there anything else given that refers to your question?

AngelEyes

11. pollyjean

pollyjean Junior Member

Italy
    Italy Italian
    You're right, quietdandelion. I just 'mistyped' the dashes.

As for "but that wasn't enough": as I said, there's no further context, and I don't know the author/the novel either.

The sentence comes from a sort of translation test, that's why I focused on the preposition 'in', thinking they're asking to find out something in the grammar that's correct but 'different' in some way. For example: AmE vs BrE usage?

I'm still clueless...

12. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    "Harrington had his own silent poetry--the deep sadness in his face--but that wasn't enough."

Your base sentence is grammatically all right, but the underlined part doesn't make sense to me.

13. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Then they're telling you it's structured correctly, but that the sentence doesn't make "logical sense" in some way.

I don't see what else it could be but the preposition, especially because if eyes had been used instead of face, we'd probably all agree in was right.

The very fact we can't agree on the prepositional choice seems to highlight that word as the one that's ambiguous.

I hope you come back and give us the definitive answer, pollyjean.

It drives me nuts when members leave me hanging. :D

AngelEyes

14. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Hmm, do you mean it should say something like "...but that wasn't all." ?

If that's the correct answer, I'd object! In that case, they should have given you more information to base your decision on, pollyjean.

AngelEyes

15. sarahjuanita Junior Member

England, English
    But Angeleyes the examples you pointed out - a smile and a frown are actual facial expressions that can be made by a movement of the muscles. An emotion is not the same thing it refers more to the inner feelings expressed in the outside which is why a writer might have been tempted to use in.

16. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    sarahjuanita,

Hmmm, you're making me think! :D I love that.

Let's see. Would I write:
    ...overwhelming happiness in his face...
    ...heavy disappointment in his face...
    ...fierce anger in his face...
    ...slight confusion in his face...

When he heard he'd won a million dollars, I saw overwhelming happiness on his face.

When twelve other winners stepped forward to share the prize, I saw heavy disappointment on his face.

When he double-checked his numbers and realized he'd read them wrong, I saw fierce anger on his face.

When I pointed out to him he was looking at his ticket from last week and handed him back the winning one, the slight confusion on his face changed to overwhelming happiness on his face again.

I could tell by the look in his eyes, he'd take what he could get.;)

I still hope pollyjean lets us know the real answer.

AngelEyes

17. sarahjuanita Junior Member

England, English
    True but you would say 'There was anger in his face' rather than 'on his face'. 'Anger on his face' just wouldn't sound right.

18. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Don't get angry, but I would say "on his face". Emotions would be painted in gestures and skin coloration on the surface of his face. It wouldn't be within the pores and cells in his face.

Since you can't actually have anything on the surface of the eyes, I would use "in" when referring to emotions, and them.

I don't know if it's a "me" thing or a BE/AE difference. And I may be wrong. :)

AngelEyes

19. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

London
    New Zealand - English
    I give one vote to "anger in his face" :)

20. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    nzseries1,
    I almost always agree with you. :D BUT...

Would you say:

In his face, I saw anger.
    On his face, I saw anger.

I guess what you see are the results of his emotions, so where are these physical manifestations taking place? Is the anger in his face?
    Or flitting across on the surface of his face?

Maybe both are right, and it's just a matter of personal choice.

AngelEyes

21. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

London
    New Zealand - English
    I would say:

In his face, I saw anger (an emotion... anger is an emotion, isn't it?).
    On his face, I saw pimples (an actual physical thing).

"On his face, I saw anger" to me sounds very awkward. Why? I don't really know :)

22. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Sorry to be unhelpful, but I don't see anything particularly strange or unusual about this sentence...

Loob:(

23. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.