sonidos agudos / graves

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by sofiaruth, Mar 26, 2011.

1. sofiaruth Junior Member

Argentinian spanish
    Could some one tell me how to translate "sonidos agudos" and "sonidos graves" to english? The whole sentence is: "Me gustan los sonidos agudos". / ¿Alguien me podría decir cómo traducir "sonidos agudos" y "sonidos graves" al inglés? La oración completa es: "Me gustan los sonidos agudos".

Gracias de antemano :)

2. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Agudos: treble, high pitched. Graves: bass, low pitched.

3. sofiaruth Junior Member

Argentinian spanish
    Thanks! What about sharp/shrill? Would those be acceptable too? (I´m refering to violin, piccolo and sopranino sounds).

4. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    For this, you will have to wait for the natives...

5. cardiganlyric New Member

Houston, TX
    English - Texas
    I would usually use sharp and shrill in a negative context to refer to sounds that are unpleasant to the ear, for example screaming women's voices. These words are probably not the best choice for talking about music, unless the soprano voice is extremely out of tune or off key.

6. sofiaruth Junior Member

Argentinian spanish
    Thanks a lot to both of you for your kind responses :)!

7. fenixfire08 New Member

English - US
    I know it's been a while since the original post was posted here, but wanted to add that (as a native English speaker and working in the audio field at the moment), if you're referencing music, "sonidos agudos" would be high frequency sounds whereas "sonidos graves" would be bass frequency.

8. sofiaruth Junior Member

Argentinian spanish
    Thank you so much for your response. :)