1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Sordo oralista

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by iridella, Feb 4, 2010.

1. iridella Junior Member

English (USA) - Italian (bilingual)
    Hello folks,

here's my question for the day: I'm writing a scientific paper in which I refer to deaf people either as using sign language (signers) or not.

In the latter case, deaf people not using sign language and mainly using lip reading to achieve informations from the world and replying by speech, the italian definition for the term is "oralista".

should I translate this in "oralist", would it return the sense I'm looking for??

Thank you all...

cheers :)

2. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    "Oralism" (and therefore "oralist") would appear to be the correct term. See Wiki oralism

3. iridella Junior Member

English (USA) - Italian (bilingual)
    ...thought it would!! Thank you Elfa... :)

4. shaneybo New Member

Northern Ireland Sign Language
    Elfa didn't get it 100% right - its a bit complicated here:

Oralists are a group of people (usually hearies with surdophobic leanings) who doesn't believe that deaf children can be taught through their natural language i.e. the signed language of their country. That is known as Oralism, a very destructive form of education for thousands of deaf children. While the deaf community supports deaf kids' right to have speech training, they should not be forbidden from using signed language, developing their deaf identity, having deaf friends or access to the deaf community where they lead fulfilling and contentful lives.

Of course, oralists will accuse me of being biased, what with me being a member of the deaf community but I was educated in oralist schools and I have many deaf friends who were educated the same way - it is something we don't want deaf children to go through, dealing with identity crises, isolation and frustrations, dealing with surdophobia etc.

World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) has asked people to use the agreed term "hard of hearing" to describe deaf people, say in England, who prefers Spoken English over British Sign Language - yet many of them are in our community, the deaf community. The more informal term for them is "oralies" or in BSL "strong hearing-world". Many Hard of Hearing's would not describe themselves as "oralists" as they see it as a negative label and they do not want to see deaf children being forced to endure 10 years of non-stop speech training and surdophobic instructions.

hearies = hearing people or non-deaf people
    surdophobia = fear of deaf people and/or the deaf community

5. LIFEATER72 Senior Member

Napoli - Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Shaneybo, thanks for the information. Considering it was your first post, you really blew me away.:eek:
    I didn't know there could be fear of deaf people. I even wonder why anyone would fear a deaf person anyway.;)
    Ciao!

6. shaneybo New Member

hey Lifeater72,

If it is just a disability, then it shouldn't be a big deal but the deaf community is a real living dynamic minority community with its own language, history and space. The real problem is that most deaf children are born to hearing parents so it is natural for hearing parents to try and "normalise" their deaf child, making them less deaf, more hearing, going for "miracle cures", having their hearing restored and all. By doing so, they often become surdophobic, refusing to learn sign language or give their deaf child the best thing: deaf friends, a chance to be around deaf people, developing lifelong friendships that will last until the grave, a very rich language that will let them communicate with any deaf people around the world (it is argued that a deaf person who use sign language is a truly global citizen).

Of course, our differences are too much for many non-deaf people - it is in their nature to try and reduce the differences, ending up destroying our confidence, our deaf acceptance and our deaf pride. You won't believe how many non-deaf people there are out there who have acted in such a surdophobic behaviour :-(

and because of the surdophobes, there are many deaf people who have developed mental health problems which often lead to suicide and self-harm :-( Just like gay people and homophobia really :-(

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Fascinating (and I must say a little disturbing) Shaney, thanks a lot.:)

The problem remains: is an Italian oralista the same as an English oralist (here I mean the language, Shaney, I know you're not English;))?

8. shaneybo New Member

naw, not English - hee hee ;-) yea, i know ure referring to the English language :)

9. AnnePk Senior Member

London
    Italian
    Ciao Elfa -- I think that one way to translate it could be: hearing impaired person who communicates through lip-reading. As far as I know, it is not considered okay to call a person "deaf" in the US. The term "hearing impaired" is preferred.

10. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Thanks, Anne. I think both "deaf" and "hearing impaired" are used in the UK, though in common speech, people still tend to say "deaf".

11. Nunou Senior Member

Europa
    Italiano
    Ciao a tutti,
    in italiano oralismo è la lettura labiale/delle labbra, un'alternativa alla lingua dei segni. Le persone sorde vengono definite anche "persone non udenti o audiolese". Condizione diversa da chi è sia sordo che muto, in questo caso si dice sordomuto ma la definizione ufficiale oggi è "sordo preverbale"

Qui sotto alcuni link di riferimento:
    http://www.mobilita.com/rivista/572008/sordi.html
    http://it.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070419133819AAssgqd
    http://forum.accademiadellacrusca.it/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=908&sid=0c50df93495e5f5a00aaa233117818ce

12. shaneybo New Member

Ciao AnnePk & Elfa,

as a Deaf person here, I can say for sure the preferred term by deaf people is "deaf and hard of hearing" but many do say "deaf". "Hearing Impaired" is a politically correct term that is decided by governments against the wish of the deaf community. If you want to respect deaf & hard of hearing people, then use the term "deaf" or "hard of hearing"

13. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    :thumbsup: Gotcha :)

14. shaneybo New Member

:p