1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by No. 36, Dec 13, 2007.

1. No. 36 New Member

Norway
    Norwegian
    Hello,
    From time to time (not too often I hope) I've to apologize for confusing somebody or giving wrong information etc. Then I've used the expression "Sorry for any inconvenience caused". A google search on this expression gives a lot of hits but for some reason I'm still not sure that it is proper English. Do native English speakers use this term? Would you be likely to use this expression or would you prefer to use another term when apologizing? If it is proper English, is it most likely to be used in writing or talking?

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    As an AE speaker, I would probably simply say "sorry for any inconvenience" or "sorry if I caused (you) any trouble."

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

The "caused" is optional, in my opinion. "We are/I am sorry for any inconvience" or "We are/I am sorry for any inconvience this has caused you" are quite often seen in writing, particularly in letters of apology from businesses when they have made a mistake.

It's not typical, in my experience, to hear it spoken except in a formal setting such as a speech or a public apology. From person to person, I'd expect to hear something like "I'm sorry to have troubled you" or "I'm sorry if I bothered you" or "I'm sorry for any problems I might have caused you."

4. Gordonedi

Gordonedi Senior Member

Strathaven
    UK (Scotland) English
    This is a very commonly used phrase, more often spoken or in emails than written formally.

It is incorrect English, and should say "I am sorry....".

Feel free to use it, though. Its sentiment is understood and often appreciated.

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi No. 36

"Sorry for any inconvenience caused [by ...]" is good English. But in practice companies are more likely to say (both in speech and writing) "We apologise for any inconvenience caused [by...]".

This can be quite annoying!

Loob

6. No. 36 New Member

Norway
    Norwegian
    Thank you all for your helpful responses.

7. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    My own suggestions were based on the impression, possibly erroneous, that the context is not a formal or business situation.

8. AKielts Junior Member

Farsi
    Hi,

I'd like to apologize to a busy person for any possible trouble that I may have caused him with my email. Could you please help me whether the following sentence is a proper on or not?

My apologies for any trouble (or inconvenience) I may have caused you with my email while you were busy.

I'm in particular interested in the point that whether this sentence sounds natural to a native speaker.

Thanks in advance.