1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

sort le grand jeu

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by ad2011, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ad2011 Senior Member

Marathi
    Hello!

conçu pour une semaine de traitement, sort le grand jeu pour son édition limitée 2010 disponible en pharmacie (dans la limite des stocks).

This refers to a product designed for a week of treatment. What does "sort le grand jeu" mean in this context?

Merci! :)

2. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    Hello,
    It means, as far as I am concerned, the same as the phrase in the WR dictionary "jouer le grand jeu" i.e. "pull all the stops out"/"pull out all the stops" (make a very big effort).
    PS I think the English phrase comes from playing the organ - you pull out all the stops on the organ to make a big noise.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  3. ad2011 Senior Member

Marathi
    can you suggest a way to incorporate it here?

4. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    offers a promotional bargain package

5. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    ...the company XXX is pulling out all the stops...

I don't think the context given allows archijacq"s "offers a promotional bargain package" because it may just mean the company is doing a lot of advertising.

6. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    "conçu pour une semaine de traitement, sort le grand jeu pour son édition limitée 2010 disponible en pharmacie (dans la limite des stocks)."

"conçu..." refers to a product, not a company.
    "édition limitée...limite des stocks" apparently refers to some "package", not to advertising.

Sans la phrase complète, impossible de décider...

7. ad2011 Senior Member

Marathi
    I have the rest of the sentence..i needed a better way to translate "sort le grand jeu". I am going with "goes all out". Thanks anyways :)

8. mirifica Senior Member

Les Lilas
    French
    Bonjour,

Pour info, une expression synonyme en FR 'mettre le paquet' = faire le maximum.