"South XXX Road" or "XXX Road South"?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by fishmacau, Jan 19, 2010.

1. fishmacau Junior Member

Shenzhen, China
    Chinese
    I googled many maps and found that most road/street names prefer to begin with N/S/E/W. So it seems that "South XXX Rd" is the preferred usage, but on "rare" occasions I came across "3rd Ave E" and similar names that place the direction at the end of the name.

So my question is: which usage do you recommend?

2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For each example that you find there is a preferred usage.
    Each road/avenue/street has its own name.
    You can't change the name depending on your own preference, the name is the name and you need to stick with it.
    Recommendations here can make no difference.

3. fishmacau Junior Member

Shenzhen, China
    Chinese
    Sorry I didn't make myself clearly understood. I am having trouble translating a Chinese road name into English, so any more suggestions?

4. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    If the direction is part of the name, then it has to be wherever it is in the name. There is no rule about the names of streets that you can go by. If it is not part of the name, then generally it is before the name. For example, if you live on First Street and you live south of a central location, then you might say, I live on South First Street. In some cities, the direction comes after the street name to denote which quadrant of the city it is. (Like Sunset Rd. NE) If you are translating the name of a street in China into English I would suggest you do a literal translation. If the direction is before the street name in Chinese, then write it that way in the English translation and likewise if it is after the street name.

5. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I tend to see the pattern (in English) 'East Nanjing Road' (in Shanghai) in China. In Chinese, this is Nánjīng Dōng Lù (lit. Nanjing East Road/Street).

The pattern in English seems different in Taiwan, where I see 'Nanking East Road' (in Taipei).

Where I am, we have a mix as to where the cardinal points come - at the end ('Commonwealth Avenue West'), at the beginning ('South Buona Vista Road') or the middle ('Sengkang East Road')! So there is no single 'correct' place!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010