1. ARrocket8 Junior Member

United States, English
    Is this a common way to say I'm single is Latin America?
  2. summerfield Senior Member

NC; USA
    Chile; Spanish
    Yes, it is. "Soy soltero" is fine.
  3. colombo-aussie

colombo-aussie Senior Member

Spanish - Colombian

Yes it is.

4. Marias-espanol

Marias-espanol Senior Member

Es "soy soltero"? not "estoy" por qué es "estoy casada"
  5. Bridgita Banned

I don't know why, but when you say that you are "single" you use ser, and when you say that you are "married" you use estar. There have been many discussions regarding this in WR.
  6. Marias-espanol

Hola Bridgita,
    Gracias por su ayuda. Yes I have read some about Estoy casada. Ok
    Soy soltero y Estoy casada es. :)
  7. Bridgita Banned

De nada Marias!!! I'm sorry, I couldn't provide more information.
  8. Marias-espanol

Hola Bridgita,
    ¡No hay problema! You did just fine. I read something that explaines something about it being a state of being talking about being dead, married and divorced there was an excelent explanation. I didn't understand why you used "estoy" until I read it. Then it made perfect sence to me.
  9. drelynn11 New Member

English, U.S.A.
    Do you remember what the reading was or where you got it?
  10. Fantasmagórico

Fantasmagórico Senior Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguayan Spanish
    But wait!
    When I say "estoy soltero" (at least in my country), I mean: "I don't have a girlfriend, I'm free".
    On the other hand, "soy soltero" = "I'm single"
    Again, this is valid for my country, and it's colloquial.
  11. losplaff Senior Member

Asturias, Spain
    Spain, Spanish
    Pues yo digo (y oigo) estoy soltero, soy soltero, estoy casado,...
  12. rastrales New Member

Spain - Spanish
    Estoy soltero, estoy soltera, soy soltero, soy soltera :tick:
    Estoy casado, estoy casada :tick:
    Soy casado, soy casada :cross: (it does not sound fine to me)
  13. mirx Banned

Estoy o soy soltero; las dos formas se pueden usar y decir, y quizá tengan una connotación diferente que ya ha explicado Fantasmagórico from Uruguay. That same thing would be said in México.

Estoy soltero: In this moment, but I am usually partnered.
    Soy soltero: I am not married.
  14. laydiC

laydiC Senior Member

Puerto Rico, USA spanglish

estoy de acuerdo con rastrales... :)
  15. Soy Yo Senior Member

EEUU - inglés
    Ser soltero. Although it can be an adjective, with this usage "soltero" is a noun (a single person, a bachelor). "Ser" has to be used to identify the subject in "noun" terms...

Estar casado. "Casado" is viewed more as an adjective, expressing a state. "Ser" and "estar" can be used with adjectives. For some reason, the "Spanish" mind sees some difference "casado" and "soltero" and the appropriateness of "ser" and "estar" with them.

Ser casado. I have been beaten down in WR trying to insist that you can use "ser" and "estar" with "casado." Apparently ser casado is a really weird concept. (Maybe because it looks like a passive voice construction?)
  16. mirx Banned

In México at least, casado and soltero are both use with ser and estar, not interchangably though.
  17. Marias-espanol

18. juddth

juddth Senior Member

Chih, Mexico
    yes it is
    soy soltero is correct
  19. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Hola a todos,

Creo que en México se dice "Estoy soltero" es uso coloquial en cierto modo, tratando de hacer saber a otra persona que tiene pareja y aun no se casa.

Generalmente si alguien te pregunta contestas: "soy soltero/a" y "estoy casado/a"
  20. Fantasmagórico

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguayan Spanish
    Here I am again. I searched in Google for some examples to support what I said in my previous post, and this is what I found:

1. In my country, "soy soltero" is used five times more frequently than "estoy soltero"

2. As I previously said, both expressions have completely different meanings. "Soy soltero" means "I'm single"(unmarried); "estoy soltero" means "I don't have a girlfriend" (although it can also mean "I'm single" sometimes)

3. What came as a surprise to me was the fact that I found in an Uruguayan website a very famous Spaniard using this expression, "estoy soltero", with the same meaning we use it with in my country:

He clearly did not mean "I'm unmarried" in this context, but rather "I no longer have a girlfriend". What he said in the subsequent phrase, "estar solo", is another common way of expressing that same idea.
    So, perhaps what I said for my country is also valid for Spain. Wait for the Spaniards to confirm this, anyway.
  21. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    But if someone asks you about your marital status, they may ask you: Es casado, soltero, viudo o divorciado? What would come up naturally (if you're married) is "Soy casado". I don´t know. Perhaps it´s used in the Americas and not in Spain.
    About "soltero" I agree with everything Fantasmagórico said.
  22. A.B.U.S. New Member

People! I'm from Argentina. Here we use all of the expressions you've been discussing but I would make a little difference between "soy soltero" and "estoy soltero". "estoy soltera" is something I would say if I have a boyfriend but he is not there at the moment. To me it sounds like..."I have a boyfriend but he is not here so I may kiss you anyway"...got it? i suppose it can be use in plenty other ways, but I use it in that way. If you just want to say that you're single you'd rather say "soy soltero" or "soy solo". To say that you're married both ways are used the same "soy casado" and "estoy casado"...there's no difference at all!
  23. Fantasmagórico

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguayan Spanish
    Thanks, A.B.U.S., for providing a girl's point of view on this subject. So, in summary, I think we might say:

estoy soltero = I don't have a girlfriend
    estoy soltera = I have a boyfriend, but he is not here so I may kiss you anyway

Just kidding.:) I agree with you, A.B.U.S. ; it all depends on the context.
    As for "soy casado/estoy casado", this has been the subject of a great deal of discussion in the link provided by Marias-espanol, and in summary:

soy casado: OK in Latin America
    estoy casado: OK in Spain