1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

spalle cadenti

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by jessordman215, Jul 15, 2013.

1. jessordman215 Senior Member

Rome
    English
    Hello!
    Does anyone know what "spalle cadenti" means when referring to men's fashion? The sentence is as follows:
    Nel 1960 il taglio all'italiana - spalle cadenti, giacca corta e pantaloni a tubo - divenne lo standard in una nuova versione borghese degli aristocratici playboy.

My first guess was "off the shoulder" or something along those lines, but that doesn't sound right to me for men's clothing.

Thanks in advance!

2. Lazzini

Lazzini Senior Member

Perhaps "sloping shoulders".

3. jessordman215 Senior Member

Rome
    English
    That sounds like an excellent guess. Unless something better happens to come along I'm going with it. Thanks!

4. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian biling
  5. jessordman215 Senior Member

Rome
    English

Thank you! That does appear to be an actual fashion term. But I still have doubts about applying it to men's fashion from the 1960s as all of the examples that I find show contemporary women's fashion. I also have the impression that the three fashion elements in the sentence (also short jackets and tube pants) are meant as an outfit altogether, which leaves me wondering if the jacket has "spalle cadenti" or if it's the piece underneath. I'd love a visual of Italian men's fashion from the 1960s, but that may be asking too much. :)

6. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
  7. Passante

Passante Senior Member

Bologna
    italian
  8. alicip

alicip Senior Member

Formello-Roma-Italia
    Italiano ITA-Romeno ROU-Inglese AmE
    I agree with both "sloping shoulders" and "dropped shoulders". Another possibility: "droopy shoulders". :)

9. AshleySarah

AshleySarah Senior Member

Australia
    English - N.Ireland
  10. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
  11. alicip

alicip Senior Member

Formello-Roma-Italia
    Ma no. :) Guarda che ho lavorato per abbastanza anni nel mondo dell'alta moda internazionale, per poter dire che i due termini vengono usati nel linguaggio della moda (anche da designer dell'UK). Grazie. ;)

12. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Ok, you win!:D Ma non mi piacciono come termini riferiti ad una giacca, è la verità. ;)

13. alicip

alicip Senior Member

Formello-Roma-Italia
  14. jessordman215 Senior Member

Rome
    English
    "Drooping shoulders" is definitely a physical description of a person's actual body, while "sloping shoulders" could describe a person's body or an article of clothing, and "dropped shoulders" I've found only in the context of fashion. Since what I've come to understand of "dropped shoulders" really doesn't make sense to me in terms of 1960s Italian men's fashion (very fitted), but seems more to be a 1980s look in women's fashion, I'm going to stick with "sloping shoulders" as I feel it's a more versatile term for the context in which I'm using it.

Thank you to everyone for your help! :)