1. J.F. de TROYES Senior Member

2- Me interesa también el origen de la palabra "zorro". He leido que viene del portugués. Así querría saber si " zorro" significa lo mismo que en español y si se conoce su etimología.

I am also interested in the origin of another word "zorro" ( fox) which is said to come from Portuguese. I also wonder about its etymology, as it does'nt go back to Latin "vulpes".

Gracias de antemano.
  2. Kaschiller Banned

First, remember the fox's color - redish-brown, fire like.
    O.E. fox, from W.Gmc. *fukhs (cf. O.H.G. fuhs, O.N. foa, Goth. fauho)
    Sounds to me like the latin L. focus "hearth," in V.L. "fire."
    Romanian - foc, Italian - fuoco, Spanish - fuego.

Now, in Romanian - zori (accent on o) - dawn ( first light) , when the Sun's color is redish...
    Could be that Zorro to be just that ( red as the sunrise )
    Red Fox

Fox Algonquian people, transl. Fr. renards, which itself may be a transl. of an Iroquoian term meaning "red fox people." Their name for themselves is /meškwahki:-haki/ "red earths."let me know what do you think...
  3. SerinusCanaria3075

SerinusCanaria3075 Senior Member

United States
    México, D.F. (Spanish)
    Me parece que en portugués es femenina "a raposa", quizás hay otra forma antigua; A ver si nos ayudan nuestros irmãos brasileiros/portugueses.

I have no idea why a lot of Spanish animals/body parts didn't keep anything that sounds or looks close to Latin, maybe there's some Arab influence but I doubt it.
    In Romanian there's also Vulpe (f.) while Italian also has Volpe (f.), both feminine which makes me think Spanish wanted a male form, just like the word Valley comes from Latin Vallis which in Romanian and Italian (vale/valle) it's feminine while masculine in Spanish (valle).

So Ricardo LaVolpe = Ricardo el Zorro in Spanish (allenatore argentino, per coloro che amano il calcio sudamericano; attualmente col Velez)
  4. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    The Latin connection you give is very unlikely. If I am not wrong, PIE word-initial *p gives /p/ in Latin. But anyway, the question was about "zorro", not about the word "fox".

Could you give more information, please?

This is off topic.

5. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Geraldo da Cunha's Dicionário etimológico gives "zorra 'raposa velha'. Do castelhano zorra." For zorrilho (familia do mustelídos, these chaps) he also refers to Castillian.

Three problems:
    - The dictionary doesn't dig deeper, as usual...
    - Strictly speaking, a fox does not belong to the family of the mustelidae (but that's a minor problem).
    - If this "zorro, zorrilho" is indeed the same word, then it doesn't clarify where the semantic shift happened, in Spanish or in Portuguese...

All in all, this is not a big help :D.

6. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    I like the way you think! :D But tracing zorro to the Romanian zori (which in English would be translated as "daybreak") is unfortunately a quite improbable connection since it's uniquely Romanian. It's a funny thought though!

:) robbie
  7. Maroseika Moderator

In Romanian zori looks like Slavic loan (comp. Russian заря, Slovenian zorja).
    Slavic word goes back to the same source as Ancient-Prussian sari - heat, Lith. žėrė́ti, žėriù - to sparkle and (conceivably) Greece χαροπoς - radiant (Max Vasmer).
    Slavic stem originates from PIE *g'her - to sparkle, from which maybe originated Ancient-Islandic grar, German grau (grey, grey-haired) and English grey.
    Therefore we may presume that Spanish word (or the word of the language from which it was loaned there) might designate a fox as a taboo term of the hunters.
  8. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    You're right. The Romanian zori comes from an old Slavic source (< zorĩ). Thank you though for a deeper analysis (my dictionary lacked that)! :D

:) robbie
  9. Maroseika Moderator

Maybe this will help you some time:
  10. Adolfo De Coene Junior Member

Mallorca Spain
    Belgium (English, Spanish, French, Dutch)
    En el Maria Moliner la etimología indicada es: Probablemente del portugués "zorrar", arrastrar; debió de aplicarse originariamente a una persona holgazana. En occasión se llama al mismo animal "mandra", mandría, gandul -- y substituiría a "raposa" como este nombre substituó a "vulpeja" por el afán de los campesinos de rehuir el nombre propio de este animal tenido por maléfico.
  11. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Zorro exists in Portuguese, with the same primary meaning as in Spanish, but nowadays this word has become disused, or possibly restricted to some regions of Portugal. In modern Portuguese, we usually say raposa.

Zorrilho is an obvious diminutive of zorro, "little fox". There are opposite gender variants for both words as well, zorra and raposo, with the same meaning (the latter is a common Portuguese family name).

I cannot find zorrar in the dictionary. There is a word zurrar, but it's related to zurro, not zorro. Zurro is the moaning sound a donkey makes.

Unfortunately, the online dictionary does not provide an etymology.

The words for "fox" seem to vary considerably in the Romance languages. In French, you say... renard!
  12. toolmanUF Junior Member

Washington, DC
    St. Petersburg, Florida, USA (English)
    I wonder what the Arabs living in Iberia called foxes? I know that the current, most common word for fox in Arabic is ثعلب, something like "th'alalb" (which is nothing like zorro) but often the dialect spoken in Al-Andalus was quite different from the standard language.
  13. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

If this (and the rest of your post) has anything to do with Spanish "fox", or if you can convince us that this has anything to do with 'fox', then I am going to ask you to substantiate your claims.
    But according to established linguistic theories, and not according to a highly idiosyncratic set of ad-hoc 'rules' like "Zor, Sor, sol".

This gives me the impression of a very idiosyncratic view upon things. This kind of juggling with letters (not even sounds) has nothing to do with historical comparative linguistics. Nothing.
    The word could have it roots in Swahili, Numanggang, Waffa or Chipaya. Those are also just possibilities. I mean, you can find (superficial) lexical similarities in any language, and with a bit of hocus-pocus, you can 'prove' anything.

Again off-topic.

And what does this have to do with (a) linguistics, (b) Spanish?

14. Maroseika Moderator

Sorry, but such a way one can easily prove anything. Phonetical relations actually are very complicated and you can't just substitute one sound with another.

Лиса is really fox, but зверек means any small amimal being diminutive of зверь - animal.

Also looks like Slavic loan - зырить, зреть, взор, etc.
  15. aleCcowaN Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    This is exactly what I thought when I looked up the etymology of these words "zorro" and "raposo". It is said that "zorro" comes from Portuguese "zorrar", to creep; and "raposo" from "raboso" (having a tail). These are typical noa words (noa is the opposite of taboo), that is, a way to refer to some meaning indirectly, avoiding so the use of words people are afraid of. Moon and hares are the most outstanding examples of this process in Indo-European languages. The Moon can drive you mad, becoming you a madman (lunatic). Don't name her (it), avoid using the word "menes" (today surviving in "mes" in Spanish); refer to her indirectly: luna (meaning "light") in Latin, selene (meaning "the one that shines") in Greek. In German languages and their relative, Mr. English, the term "menes" survived (Moon, month, Monday).
  16. J.F. de TROYES Senior Member

I agree with you to think of "the Arabic track", given that the word may sound like Arabic, but I didn't come across anything likely on this way.

Me interesa aprender que el castellano tiene otra palabra que procede del latín. ¿ Se estila aún la palabra "vulpejo" ahora mismo o quiza parezca de estilo literario ?
    El occitán también usa "mandra" y me parece que para llamar al animal unas lenguas recurren a imagenes evocadores como en corso donde se usa "a volpe", pero también " a codilonga" o "a mammicara" por una razón o por otra como las que dicéis unos de vosotros.

Not totally, зверек being related to the same P.I.E root *WeLF the Latin "vulpes" comes from with another meaning though.

Without being sure I tend to go by what yiu say except for the doubtful Portuguse etymology " zorrar " : see Outsider before (#11 ) ; I coud'nt find out this verb either.
  17. aleCcowaN Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    I agree, but the etymologies say "from ancient Portuguese 'zorrar' ", not modern Portuguese.

The diversity of terms for vulpes in Romance languages convinced me that bumping into a fox was regarded as very very bad luck.
  18. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    The following quote is from the entry for zorra in J. P. Machado's Dicionário Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa, 3rd. ed., 1977. "s. 1 Talvez deverbal de zorrar. O sentido primitivo de zorra2, isto é, de «raposa» (que não sei até que ponto se relaciona com zorrar e com zorra1) terá sido o de «pessoa folgazã» (donde zorra, na acepção de «prostituta»), que continua vivo e, popularmente, designa ainda, em tom sarcástico ou depreciativo, a «raposa»."

He traces zorro back to zorra. As for the verb zorrar, which I did not find in the other dictionaries I consulted, he says it's little used, and probably an onomatopoeia for the sound made by something dragging itself (perhaps "crawling" is a better translation).
  19. Asgaard Junior Member

usa, english
    Here is what I've found in a mini Basque-English (Euskara- Ingelesa) dictionary :

Zoro = Mad, Crazy, Fool, Insane, Lunatic
    Zorri = Louse

Zorro =
    1. Bag, Pouch, Sack, Saddlebag, Satchel ( here I don't see any connection with Spanish Zorro (Fox) - unless the Basques used to make bags out of Fox's skin???) 2. Case,Sheath
    3.Paunch , Potbelly
    ??? ( from a different root ? ... no idea here.)

Zorrotz =
    1. Sharp, Keen, Pointed
    2. Acute, Severe
    3. Shrewed, Witty, Sagacious !( attributes of foxes? "sly like a fox")
    4. Exacting, Strict

Azeri = Fox

Zoritaxar - bad luck, misfortune, disgrace, mischance
    Zoritxarrez - unfortunately
    Zoritxarreko - ill fated, unlucky, unfortunate, unhappy, miserable, wretched

from etymonline.com -under etymology of craze:
    .... "Phrase crazy like a fox recorded from 1935".
    Locus classicus of the phrase " Crazy like a fox" is it's use as a book title by the US humorist SJ Perelman in 1944.

See also Foxes with Rabies, behavior patterns.

The etymology of Zorra(o) could be from Soura(gk) - tail, just like english Fox (PIE puk- tail), Spanish Raposa( Raboso - having a tail), Lithuanian Uodegis "fox," from uodega "tail").

Is it possible that foxes with rabies (acting crazy) were called, once upon a time , Zorras?
    Or vice versa, crazy people were called Zorras after Zorra, the Crazy fox?

Also founded Zurliu (Romanian)
    ZURLÍU, -ÍE, zurlii, adj. (Fam.) Zvăpăiat, nebunatic; smintit. – Cf. tc. z o r l u. - crazy

Here the root is Proto Altaic:
    crazy, mad
    Turkic: Jul- Mongolian: Dulei -Tungus-Manchu: dulbu - Korean: tor

It is interesting to follow this route: TAIL -> FOX -> CRAZY.

Good Day,