speedlay hose (firefighting)

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by panderetita1986, Aug 10, 2006.

1. panderetita1986

panderetita1986 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Hello again,

I would like to know what a "speedlay" hose means. I looked for it in many dictionaries but I still could not find anything. So I guess it must have to do with a quick deployment of the hose, but it may be a "cheap" deduction.... Here is some context (it is a newspaper article about pumpers):

The hose bed is fabricated of 12-gauge galvanneal-steel and is approximately 69.5 inches from the ground when the apparatus is fully
    loaded. There are two 1.75 inch speedlay hose beds with trays and a
    backstop breaking system. Also featured are roll-up compartment doors
    with keyed locks.
    Thank you for your help!

2. lilreal Senior Member

Maryland
    English-USA
    panderetita,

You have hit the nail on the head. It is referring to hose that is pre-positioned for quick deployment. It is carefully laid into a "bed" or open-sided compartment for rapid removal and extension.

3. panderetita1986

panderetita1986 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you Lilreal, you have helped me a lot! So... could I translate it like "manguera pre-desplegada", "manguera pre-extendida"?? Do you have a better term? Thank you.

4. lilreal Senior Member

Maryland
    English-USA
    panderetita,

No diría que la manguera esta "pre-desplegada/extendida" sino "pre-cargada" o "preparada para desplego rápido(?)."

Tal vez, "manguera arreglada para desplego rápido"

5. dboisvert New Member

français - Québec
    Hi panderetita1986,

If you can't find any information in dictionaries, i'd suggest you to contact a hose manufacturer. I personally think it's the fastest and the best way to have reliable informations.

Have a nice day !