1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

speedlay hose (firefighting)

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by panderetita1986, Aug 10, 2006.

1. panderetita1986

panderetita1986 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Hello again,

I would like to know what a "speedlay" hose means. I looked for it in many dictionaries but I still could not find anything. So I guess it must have to do with a quick deployment of the hose, but it may be a "cheap" deduction.... Here is some context (it is a newspaper article about pumpers):

The hose bed is fabricated of 12-gauge galvanneal-steel and is approximately 69.5 inches from the ground when the apparatus is fully
    loaded. There are two 1.75 inch speedlay hose beds with trays and a
    backstop breaking system. Also featured are roll-up compartment doors
    with keyed locks.
    Thank you for your help!

2. lilreal Senior Member

Maryland
    English-USA
    panderetita,

You have hit the nail on the head. It is referring to hose that is pre-positioned for quick deployment. It is carefully laid into a "bed" or open-sided compartment for rapid removal and extension.

3. panderetita1986

panderetita1986 Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you Lilreal, you have helped me a lot! So... could I translate it like "manguera pre-desplegada", "manguera pre-extendida"?? Do you have a better term? Thank you.

4. lilreal Senior Member

Maryland
    English-USA
    panderetita,

No diría que la manguera esta "pre-desplegada/extendida" sino "pre-cargada" o "preparada para desplego rápido(?)."

Tal vez, "manguera arreglada para desplego rápido"

5. dboisvert New Member

français - Québec
    Hi panderetita1986,

If you can't find any information in dictionaries, i'd suggest you to contact a hose manufacturer. I personally think it's the fastest and the best way to have reliable informations.

Have a nice day !