Spend money on

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by stelingo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    How would I translate on when using the verb wydawać/wydać pieniądze. I am guessing na?

Examples

She likes spending money on clothes.
    Lubi wydać pieniądze na ubrania.

He spends all his money on his girlfriend.
    Wydawa wszystkie swoje pieniądze na przyjaciółkę.

Thanks in advance.

2. Drejfus New Member

polski
    Hi,

your'e right -> spend money on = wydawać pieniądze na...(here put a noun)/ wydawać oszczędności (savings) na...(here put a noun)/ wydawać kasę na...(informal)
    like always in translation, the word you would use depends on the context

Should be:
    Wydaje wszystkie swoje pieniądze na przyjaciółkę/dziewczynę (girlfriend in the meaning of she-partner)

3. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Yes, the preposition we use in Polish is 'na'. There are a couple of issues with your sentences, though:

She likes spending money on clothes. = Lubi wydawać pieniądze na ubrania.
    He spends all his money on his girlfriend. = Wydaje wszystkie swoje pieniądze na dziewczynę.

cross-posted with Drejfus, with whom I agree.

4. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    Isn't wydaje perfective? Why do I need to use the perfective verb rather than the imperfective?

5. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    The perfective of 'wydawać' is 'wydał' (3rd person singular). 'Wydaje' describes a habitual action.

6. Drejfus New Member

polski
    in this example "wydaje" is a correct form, "wydawa" does not exist in Polish; if I understand correctly that perfective=dokonany, "wydaje" is imperfective; the action is not finished, it's in progress

"wydał" would be perfective and in the same time a past for of "wydawać"

7. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    Thanks. I need to refresh my memory on the conjugation of dawać and dać.

8. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Actually both "wydać" and "wydawać" are perfective verbs when used in past tense, but "wydać" means to spend everything at once, while "wydawać" suggests a repetitive action, "he used to spend money".
    All verbs in present tense have in principle imperfective meaning, as the action (or a series of actions) is not finished yet.
    Both "wydać" and "wydawać" have the same present tense form "wydaje", so it is impossible to differentiate between them.
    The sentence "Lubi wydać pieniądze na ubrania." is not grammatically or phraseologically wrong, it may be used, but in a special meaning, for example: Whenever he gets money, he likes to spend it all at the same time on clothes. - "Lubi wydać pieniądze na ubrania gdy tylko dostanie wypłatę". So wydać = spend it all at the same time, in this case.

9. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    Repetitive actions such as 'he used to spend' are expressed by imperfective verbs, according to all the grammar books I possess on Polish, Czech and Russian. This is the first time I have seen the explanation that you put forward Ben Jamin.

10. Agiii

Agiii Senior Member

Polish
    I think your book is correct: wydawać is imperfective. Maybe Ben Jamin interpreted wydawać as a perfective verb because of the prefix wy- at the beginning. But his explanation on when either of the words is used is totally correct.

11. jasio Senior Member

The perfective of 'wydawać' is 'wydać', where both are infinitives. ;)

'Wydaje' (3rd person singulare present tense of 'wydawać') is in fact imperfective. You must not use perfective aspect in this context for at least two reasons:
    * you refer to a habitual rather than a one-time action,
    * you want to use present tense, while as you know, perfective verbs as a rule don't form present tense.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. jasio Senior Member

"Wydał" is a past tense of a perfective (dokonany) verb "wydać". The past tense of an imperfective (niedokonany) verb "wydawać" is "wydawał".

Examples:
    "On wydał wszystkie swoje pieniądze" - "He has spent all of his money"
    "Zawsze wydawał pensję w pierwszych dniach miesiąca" - "He always spent his salary in the first days of [every] month"

13. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    You have a point, Jasio. :thumbsup: The technical side of some of the aspects of Polish grammar is sometimes a mystery to me. I can easily get confused with this whole 'perfective/imperfective' thing.

14. jasio Senior Member

Dreamlike, that's why some people claim that the Polish language is so difficult, that one should note in his/her CV any level of proficiency. ;)

15. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    All Polish verbs are classified in two groups: perfective and imperfective. Actually the meaning of an imperfective verb in the past tense can be: imperfective proper (action being in progress, not completed: właśnie wydawał pieniądze, trzymał je w ręku) or repetitive (iterative, when the same action was completed many times in the past (wydawał pieniądze zawsze gdy je miał). The latter is gramatically imperfective, but logically perfective, and that is the reason why it is so difficult to explain. Many native speakers don't understand the distinction between the logical and grammatical aspect, and because of that have a problem explaining the problem to foreigners learning Polish. The same happens in other Slavic languages. The other problem is that the Slavic languages often use perfective verbs even if logically you would expect the imperfective, and vice versa, which makes things even more complicated.