Spoken form of צריך (and other stuff)

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by utrecht, Dec 29, 2012.

1. utrecht New Member

Utrecht, Netherlands
    Nederlands (Dutch)
    Ok, this might seem like a strange thread but the questions I have are more concerned with Hebrew pronounciation than with grammar stuff. When I watch Hebrew videos on youtube, which I do in order to learn to understand spoken Hebrew (maybe it's convenient here to note that I have two hearing aid thingies so understanding people can be hard for me even when hearing my native tongue, Dutch, and Israelis seem to speak far to fast:p) the people don't seem to actually pronounce everything the subtitles say they should (which is natural for every language, it seems, I know). For example, tsarich or tsricha, is that pronounced like 'tsch' or 'tscha'? And things like 'shelcha' and 'shelachem' does that become 'sh'cha' and 'sh'chem'? Any notes on deviation in spoken Hebrew compared to the written stuff is welcome anyhow:) Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Generally speaking, we pronounce all consonants and vowels as dictated in the grammar books. In practice, some may be omitted in certain situation, such as football stadium, children language, teenagers, criminal world, or just a fashion. In regard to the specific words:

צריך = tzarich (tz like English cats, ch like Dutch Van Gogh), for feminine it's tzricha. You may hear tzricha reduced to tz'icha.
    שלך = shelcha. You may hear it reduced to sh'cha.

These reductions are very informal and as a foreigner you better stick to the normative pronunciation.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. C_J Junior Member

He
    Your observations are correct, many people mispronounce these words as you mentioned.
    Elision is very common in informal speech, however there aren't any "rules" for this, so it depends on the case.

4. utrecht New Member

Utrecht, Netherlands
    Nederlands (Dutch)
    Thank you. Of course, I'll stick to the normative pronounciation, always feels better. Guess it's just a question of experience, understanding spoken language.