1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

spring break

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    I was really surprised when I first heard that word in English. I thought spring break at schools is something special for central Europe. In Hungary schoolchildren aged 6-18 (not university students) have spring break around February, March. My question is if you know that term and what word you use. Thanks a lot.

Hungarian: tavaszi szünet

Czech: jarní prázdniny

2. kusurija

kusurija Senior Member

Lithuania, K. city
    Lithuania Czech
    In Lithuanian:
    Pavasario atostogos

3. Russian: весенние каникулы

4. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Can someone please explain what is a spring break? :)

5. Poor Portuguese :D You must be to hard-working :D

6. Juri Senior Member

Koper, near Trieste
    italian/Slovenia
    Italian:Vacanze scolastiche di primavera, vacanze di Pasqua.

7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian

Well, well. It seems Portuguese pupils don't have spring break.
    Spring break in central Europe is a kind of spring vacation/holiday usually 1 week long for primary and secondary school children.

8. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    We actually used to have "Easter Break" and "Christmas Vacation" here too, but that's no longer considered politically correct. "Spring Break" is usually the week before or after Easter, I can't remember, and "Winter Break" is the two weeks before New Years Day. Pretty much all students get to take the time off; the vacations apply from kindergarten all the way up to undergraduates in college.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  9. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    In Central Europe kids have both spring break and Easter break.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  10. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I wonder if English speakers have both, too.

In Portugal, there is only férias da Páscoa, the Easter holidays (one week in higher education; used to be two weeks in the lower levels, but it may have been changed to one in recent years).

11. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    Possibly Britain, in the States it would be considered somewhat gauche to say that, for example, Buddhist students get an Easter break.

This isn't a comprehensive list but here we have:
    Spring Break - Typically in April to coincide with Easter, but not always. I know that my cousin in New York gets a week off in March instead.
    Winter Recess - Mine was two weeks, starting on something like the 12th of December and ending the Monday after Christmas.
    Summer Vacation - Mid June to Mid August at my alma mater, 2 to 3 months off in most schools. Some programs elect to have a shorter one in exchange for more time off in Spring/Winter.

There are also smaller groups of days off, usually set up so that we get long weekends. The three that come to mind are Independence Day, Thanksgiving (usually both Thursday and Friday off, I think), and Memorial Day.

12. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I meant the occasion, not the name. It seems (according to Encolpius) that in central Europe there are two different sets of school vacations during spring, the Easter holidays and the spring break. In other words, it seems that in central Europe Easter holidays and spring break are two different things that happen at different times in the year.

13. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    Yeah sorry, my response wasn't very clear. We usually have a week-long break in spring at some point, mid-March, coinciding with Passover, coinciding with Easter, et cetera. But I've never heard of school with more than one.

Memorial Day weekend works kind of like a second holiday week because people will often take off a couple of days before or after in order to visit relatives or something, but that's not really sanctioned by the school systems.

14. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    And in Portugal there are also vacations during Carnival/Mardi Gras, at the start of spring, but this is just a weekend and three days. :)

15. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    And here the Easter holiday is only about 4-5 days, but spring break lasts 7 days.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  16. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,
    In Dutch (Flanders) it would be 'krokusvakantie', though sometimes the words 'carnavalvakantie' and 'voorjaarsvakantie' are used too.

Groetjes,

Frank

17. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Can you tell us in which months each of the two vacations takes place?

18. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian

krokusvakantie is a very interesting name. Who knows why they call it krokus?
    Germans may call it Frühlingsferien but I don't know if they really have it.

19. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    In the Czech Republic spring break for primary and secondary school children can be in the whole February. The schools in the country are divided into regions and each region has 1 week break at different time in February. Then kids have another break (Friday-Monday) at Easter.

20. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Well, in Portuguese universities there is a break in the classes between the first and the second semesters which falls round about that time, though it doesn't last as long, because most of it is for exams.

In secondary education, I'd say the closest thing we have is the Carnival holidays (Monday-Wednesday).

21. Nizo Senior Member

Esperanto uses the general term printempa ferio, or the plural, printempaj ferioj. Because Esperanto isn't spoken in any fixed location, various translations may be used that more specifically describe the period in a given location: paskaj ferioj, karnavaloj ferioj, etc.

22. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Spring break and Easter break are two different things. ;)

In Austria (German) we have:
    - a "spring" break = Semesterferien = literally "break-between-semesters" (first and second half of the school year) = one week in february; it is not exactly spring that time, they are more like winter breaks
    - an Easter break = Osterferien = one week plus Easter Monday + Tuesday (that is, one week and almost a half one)

In Germany there is also an Easter break (different for each Bundesland), but no spring (or winter) breaks; Switzerland has instead of what we call "Semesterferien" the so-called "Sportferien" = winter break (between january and march) and later in the year instead of Easter spring breaks "Frühlingsferien" (independent from the date when there is actually easter).
    Source: Wiki

23. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, new answers?

24. Pretty_Gaella

Pretty_Gaella Junior Member

Naga City, Bicol, Philippines
    Filipino, English & Spanish
    Hello Encolpius!
    We don't really have a Spring Break here in the Philippines. But we have Christmas & New Year Vacation. Usually starts on the 3rd week of December and will last until the first week of January.
    Then we have Summer Vacation, starts on the last week of March until last week of May. And Easter would be around that time. That's applicable to all school levels (primary, elementary and college. And classes resumes on the first week of June.
    By the way we call Easter "Pasko ng Pagkabuhay"
    Have a great day:)

25. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    No Spring break in Greece, only a two-week Paschal/Easter break:
    «Πασχαλινές διακοπές» [pasxali'nes ði.a.ko'pes] (fem. nom. pl.) lit. "Easter vacations"
    Note that vacation in Greece is described by the noun in plural: «Διακοπή» [ði.a.ko'pi] (fem. nom. sing.) --> intermission, interruption, «διακοπές» [ði.a.ko'pes] (fem. nom. pl.) --> vacation(s)

26. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In France, we don't have the concept of spring break where students go wild and party.
    In high school and below, we have
    holidays in February: les vacances de février (literally: February holiday)
    and then around April/Easter: les vacances de Pâques (literally: Easter holiday)
    They don't take place at the same time depeding on where you live (they are 3 different zones)

At university, there is usually a one-week break after the first semester around January/February but I don't recall it has any special name.
    At my university, there was a carnival at the beginning of February (le carnaval étudiant), where some people dressed up (but not all, none in my class! :D)

27. Halfdan Junior Member

Canadian English
    In Canada it's called March Break, and lasts for a week. Which week in March depends on the province.

28. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

In Pilipino, it is Bakasyon(from Spanish Vacacion ) but in Tagalog, break (in any month) is "Pahinga" literally "Rest days".

29. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Thanks for sharing this interesting information about the Philippines. I'm guessing that this is called Summer Vacation instead of of Spring Vacation because this is when you have your warmest weather

30. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Here in Southern California, spring break for public school children is usually scheduled according to the school's academic calendar. One of the local public high schools close to where I live is having their spring break right now. However, spring break for a local private Catholic high school started on Holy Thursday and the students were off from school the entire week after Easter. If spring break at a public school happens to be at same time as the Easter vacation that most European school children have, it is usually by coincidence.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  31. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    In Sweden we have sportlov (sporting break) in February or March (depending on where in Sweden you live), sometimes called februarilov (February break) if it's in February, as well as a Easter break. During the sportlov there are usually different kinds of activities arranged for the children to do, sometimes some sport events, the museums have different events to do, and so on. Sometimes the whole family take time off and goes to the mountains in Sweden, Norway or the Alps for a skiing holiday.

32. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    In Norway instead of sportlov there's vinterferie (winter vacation) for school children. Just like in Sweden this break is during a different week in February or March depending on where in Norway you live.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  33. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew: summer break:
    חופשת קיץ khufshat kayitz.