squeezed every drop of meaning and enjoyment?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by raymondaliasapollyon, Aug 2, 2014.

1. raymondaliasapollyon Senior Member

Chinese
    I'd like to know what 'squeeze every drop of meaning and enjoyment' means in the following. B is said to be a more specific version of A, but I suspect that 'squeeze every drop of meaning' is not a negative evaluation, unlike 'he did not like it' in A. I don't understand why B is said to be a version of A.

A: The writer wrote a three-page critique of the painting in which he said he did not like it.

B: In his three-page critique, the art critic squeezed every drop of meaning- and enjoyment- out of the 3-inch by 3-inch pastel.

I'd appreciate your help.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    It's figurative language that means "The writer covered all the possible things that the pastel could mean. The writer also covered all the possible ways that somebody can enjoy the pastel."

You see how long and cumbersome that explanation is. No wonder the writer chose "squeezed every drop of meaning and enjoyment".

3. raymondaliasapollyon Senior Member

Chinese
    Would you interpret the sentence to mean the writer didn't like the pastel?

4. onestitchatatime New Member

English - American
    I would read the sentence as meaning "The writer said everything that possibly could be said about the pastel." I don't see it as meaning that the writer didn't like the pastel. Possibly to mean that that the writer went on at too great a length about it, though.

5. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    No. If the writer "squeezed every drop of meaning and enjoyment" from the pastel, that implies that the pastel contained much that was meaningful and enjoyable.

6. raymondaliasapollyon Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you. That's what I think. The SAT book is probably incorrect is considering the sentence to be a specific version of the other.

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    On second thought, I agree with the test, Raymond. "B" could be viewed as saying "The critic ruined the pastel/took all the enjoyment out of looking at the pastel." I don't think "B" is a fine example of a more specific restatement of "A", however.

If I read "B" out of context, I'd understand the sentence to mean that the critic found all that there was to ponder and enjoy in that pastel. I sometimes wonder about some of the questions that are offered on exams. I wonder about this one.

8. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I see that the same question has been asked at Stack Exchange: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/188432/squeezed-every-drop-of-meaning-and-enjoyment and is from Master Writing for the SAT: What You Need for Test Success By Margaret Moran. ;)

'... squeeze every drop of meaning' is a negative evaluation. It is a sharp criticism of the art critic. The art critic overblown and lengthy description has ruined any enjoyment that a person might obtain from the pastel.

If you realise that a 3-inch by 3-inch pastel is only 54 sq. cm, you will realise that three pages of critique is truly excessive. The critic has used far too many words and we begin to suspect that that he is seeing far too much symbolism, too many references, too many observations, etc in each square millimetre of the pastel and that his words have become tedious and so has the painting. The painting is no longer a small work of art, it has become a boring lecture.

His critique has effectively squeeze every drop of meaning that the painting might possess to the individual and taken all the enjoyment for the viewer from the painting.