1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Stammi bene

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by mypigtail, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mypigtail New Member

shanghai China
    china and chinese
    does it mean" i am all right" or "do be all right for me"?
    I am a beginner and thank u for your help:)

2. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Hello,

welcome to the forums! :)

It means "take care" and you use it in letters or when saying goodbye to friends.
    The infinitive is "stare". From a purely logical point of view, the imperative "stai bene" sounds better to foreigners' ears.

Jana

3. islandspaniels

islandspaniels Junior Member

Seattle
    USA English
    Seems to be an informal way of saying" take care". you could also use "in gamba" to say the same thing..more formally I am told to use "si riguardi"
    I've asked the same question on the forum previously...my grandmother
    used "aver cura", but I don't know if that is correct :)
    Stammi bene ;)

4. mypigtail New Member

shanghai China
    china and chinese
    Capito e grazie mille!
    By the way,my aunt use "baci" at the end of the massage she sends me,it means "kiss"yes? I just wonder in what situation or to what kind of people it can be used?
    Grazie:)

5. islandspaniels

Seattle
    USA English
    mypigtail :) riguardo a "baci"
    I have received several EMails from friends ( all female) ending with "un bacio") also "abbraccio"..I feel both are affectionate ways of saying good bye or even take care..In english we use "fondly" also to express the same thing.
    tanti auguri

6. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    My pigtail, just a few notes:

"aver cura" is a correct verb, you should say:
    "abbia cura di se stesso" (very formal)
    "abbi cura di te" (informal but not very used)

I would say that both are better used in written language recently..
    Or you can hear it in some films.

Then:
    "si riguardi" is very formal
    "stammi bene" informal

Many people say "stammi bene" when they leave a friend. I use it a lot.

"in gamba" sounds a bit strange... I mean, I've never heard anybody using that word while leaving someone, but maybe somewhere in Italy it is used with this meaning. Seems like a dialectical way of greeting someone. I dare say that it could even come from north Italy, where I live..but, if so, I definetely think it is really old fashioned!!
    The only meaning it has nowadays is something like .. well, take this example.
    Sometimes when we refer to an older person who is still very smart, or sporty, in good health and who maybe still work we can say:
    "Ha ormai 90 anni ed è ancora così in gamba!"
    "He is almost 90 and he is still so ... "
    Do you have a word to define something like that??

Hope it helps!

7. islandspaniels

Seattle
    USA English
    SilviaB..Caspita :cool:
    You have made it very clear...I still stick with "stammi bene"
    Re: "in gamba" I would say "ha ormai 90 anni ed è ancora così in gamba"="He is 90 years old and is still alive and kicking! My son might say "the old guy is troppo figo"

8. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    Good, I am glad you understood..!
    Always use "stammi bene" with friends...you will never do wrong!

"alive and kicking"... wonderful, I have learned something new! :)

Hahaah!! That's nice! :D

9. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    "in gamba" and "alive and kicking" only correspond in this one specific example, though. To make it more general for other occasions, you might have said "still with it."

10. islandspaniels

Seattle
    USA English
    ISP, hope I am not getting off the subject but you are absolutely right, my uncle just reminded me.."despite all that has happened to him lui ancora è in gamba" =he can still hold it together :rolleyes:

11. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    But what about younger people? They can also be described as "in gamba," and then "holding it together" sounds as odd to me as "alive and kicking."
    :) Lsp

12. mypigtail New Member

shanghai China
    china and chinese
    Grazie a Silvia e tutti gli altri!! :thumbsup:
    Now i know useing "stammi bene"with a friend,va bene. yet,is it also suitable to use it with elder family members,e.g. parents ,uncles,aunts.....
    Beside,your discussion on "gamba" reminded me of a italian saying"Chi non ha testa,a gamba"(i am not quite sure about the accuracy :( ),does it mean "the slow need to start early"?
    Grazie ai vostri aiuti e alle vostre pazienze:)

13. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    No, it means something like:
    "who does not have a head, has legs!"

I think the meaning can be that if someone is not really "clever" at least he has other qualities. But many someone can give a more accurate explanation.

Bye!

14. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    EHM...of course I forgot to delete the word "many"
    Replace it with "I'm sure" while reading! :D

ciao!

15. mypigtail New Member

shanghai China
    china and chinese
    Grazie!
    i guess then, i would have made a mistake--it would be "ha gamba" not "a gamba",right?

16. Silvia B

Silvia B Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    The correct phrase is:

Chi non ha testa ha gambe

Bye bye!!!

17. giocc Senior Member

Milano
    Italy, Italian
    E' molto usato anche nella forma "chi non ha testa abbia gambe"... which has the slightly different meaning "If you know you are lacking a skill, you'd better compensate by taking advantage of another skill you know you have".
    Ciao a tutti

18. mypigtail New Member

shanghai China
    china and chinese
    Grazie a tutti! Ho imparato molti da voi:)

19. horseman Senior Member

Italy, Campania
    english
    Could someone please tell me the English translation of " stammi bene'? Does it mean "stay well"..? Can one simply say Stai bene ?

20. V52

V52 Senior Member

Rome
    Italy Italian
    HI Horseman
    "Stammi bene" means "Take care of yourself!"
    Ciao
    Vittorio

21. luke_77

luke_77 Senior Member

Milan (suburbs)
    Italy - Italian
    Yes Horsemen! It's a slang form to say "stay well". With that we mean : "take care of yourself" or simply "stay well". You got it.

"Stammi bene" is a dialectal form to make the sentence stronger, more personal and colloquial. It could be translated into: Stai bene (a me) that sounds really bad! It is used between friends and persons that you know well. You won't never say it to an occasional person.

22. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    "Take care" is the right translation, according to me. :)

23. horseman Senior Member

Italy, Campania
    english
    Ok..thank you. Why does it seem to be an imperativo..i.e..stammi..dimmi..etc. referring back to me. I'm just trying to understand the concept..or is it purely dialectical and can't be explained .

24. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I'm not sure I understand your question...

You can't translate word by word...

25. V52

V52 Senior Member

Rome
    Italy Italian
    Ciao Luke
    I don't think "stammi bene" can be related to a specific dialect, it is good colloquial Italian , did you mean "colloquial" instead of "dialectal"? For our not mother tongue friends it's important to know the difference. :)
    BTW Danalto gave the most "colloquial" and right version "Take care"
    Vittorio

26. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Vittorio, come definiresti statti accorto? Colloquiale? Per me non è un italiano molto corretto... è italianizzato più che altro.

27. V52

V52 Senior Member

Rome
    Italy Italian
    Si, hai ragione per "statti accorto" , riferibile a una provenienza meridionale, ma "stammi bene" da quale dialetto proverrebbe?
    Anyway let's explain the meaning of "statti accorto" = " Be careful"
    Vittorio:)

28. luke_77

luke_77 Senior Member

Milan (suburbs)
    Italy - Italian
    Ciao Vittorio,

Yes you're right (guys don't misunderstand!):) , I was meaning colloquial. Take care fits too!

Luke

29. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    You can see much more on the topic, including another thread with this same title, by using the search function on the phrase in quotes ("stammi bene").

30. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Sempre dal sud, perché non mi risulta una forma riflessiva in questo caso al nord...

31. V52

V52 Senior Member

Rome
    Italy Italian
    Sarebbe da verificare... così, per curiosità...
    V

32. mirco New Member

Italiano - Italia
    Yes, it is correct.:thumbsup:
    You use it in imperative way as "take care of you": "Abbi cura di te". I have heard it few times, just by my mother ad girls using it in a very affective way.
    Ciao.

:thumbsdown: No e si.
    "Chi non ha testa, ha gambe!" means "If you haven't head, have legs". Stupid people have do to the same thing many times. In a travel, you surely forget something, and you have to go back and forth more times...
    Si se, "the slow...", means slow in understanding.
    Ciao.

33. DiFossa Senior Member

United States of America English|Italian Dialect
    Hey guys and gals! When I stopped working in Rome, my co-worker said... sei in gamba. I've also seen it written at the end of emails a few times. I would assume it simply means stay well.. Take care of yourself.

34. mirco New Member

Italiano - Italia
    In gamba (in, on leg).
    It could mean many things, that always concern with some ability.
    At the end of message, it could really mean take care, but it could mean to encourage to be strong too.
    About an old person "è ancora in gamba" it means "still able to something".
    To a third young person is a rare copliment (it means "bravo", peachy), more frequent in northeastern Italy.
    To a second person its meaning depends by the contest and relationship. It is always a compliment, that could go from the appreciation for a specific skill to some affective appreacement.
    Ciao.

35. filosnet New Member

Italiano Italia
    "Stammi bene" is an informal and not often used expression to say something like "I wish you all the best" (not really "take care"). Also "in gamba" is very informal and rarely used. On the contrary, "Si riguardi" is a very formal way to say "take care", but it can be used ONLY when you know that the other person is not so good in terms of health. If you don't know about that, I don't really recommend to use "Si riguardi"... :)
    Luca

36. marin1976 New Member

Denmark, Faroese
    I have understood the meaning of the phrase, but I am uncertain of how to reply to ir properly?

37. Stiannu

Stiannu Senior Member

Torino (Turin), Italy
    Italy, Italian
    Anche tu! (You too!), or Grazie, anche tu! (Thanks, you too!) could fit.

38. Pete New Member

U.S.A.
    My Harper Collins dict. says Stai attento means take care (warning) and Stammi bene (good wishes). How is the ...mmi explained? It seems to reflect to the speaker ("Be well for me). Thank you.

39. dinah Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Italy - Italian
    Yes, "stammi" does reflect to the speaker. It means "I hope you will be well"

40. saltapicchio

saltapicchio Senior Member

Vicino Udine
    Italia (Roma) - Italiano
    Exactly ;)

Like "fammi" = "make me"

41. Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold Senior Member

France/Italy
    English (UK)/French (FR) - Bilingual
    But "stammi bene a sentire" means more or less "now listen to me, and listen good!" - with a touch of agressivity.

IC

42. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  43. pazdominguez Senior Member

spanish
    so how would you say in the polite for "take care", like to a teacher, or an acquaintance?

do you use "stammi bene" to say take care to a friend, for example, in the informal way?

thanks for clearing it up for me! ;)

44. To a teacher or an acquaintance you should say "Mi stia bene"

45. sil66 New Member

Italian
    Hi "stammi bene" is tipical italian: "I am interested in you feeling well", very familiar and friendly.
    Note that "stammi bene a sentire" becomes more agressive, and means "now you listen to me"
    But in both cases there is not a litteral translation from italian to english.
    Ciao ciao
    Sil66

46. GSav Junior Member

New Jersey, USA
    English-American
    Ciao,

The two English colloquialisms I would equate to "in gamba" would be "sharp" oppure "on the ball"

Comunque, l'ho imparato io cosi'...

GS

47. Tripolino New Member

English
    ciao a tutti,
    it means also "Get well soon"

48. Curandera Senior Member

Italian
    @Tripolino :

Get well soon = riprenditi, guarisci

Stai bene/riguardati = Keep fit, keep well, take care of yourself

Ci vediamo e stammi bene = See you soon and take care.

49. FFC Junior Member

Enna
    Italian
    My friends often tell me something like "in gamba" or "mi raccomando", but I think it's too formal, I don't like it so much... I agree with you, it sounds definetely strange! Maybe, it's slang. Anyway, I would never use it!

50. marialdina27 Senior Member

English
    When you say, "stammi bene a sentire" would you congigate sentire or there is no need because it is already conj with stammi?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.