1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Start an IV with D5W /SRP

Discussion in 'English Only' started by neal2009, Mar 26, 2009.

1. neal2009

neal2009 New Member

Advanced treatment: Consider orotracheal or nasotracheal intubation for airway control in the patient who is unconscious or has severe pulmonary edema. Positive pressure ventilation techniques with a bag valve mask device may be beneficial. Monitor cardiac rhythm and treat arrhythmias if necessary ... . Start an IV with D5W /SRP: "To keep open", minimal flow rate/Use lactated Ringer's if signs of hypovolemia are present. Administer atropine. Correct hypoxia before giving atropine ... Administer pralidoxime chloride

Q: I am puzzed with the meaning of "IV", "D5W", and "SRP". I googled and seached it at wikipedia and thefreedictionary but in vain. Thank you so much for your help.

2. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    IV = intravenous

D5W = Dextrose 5% in water

SRP = slow replacement protocol

3. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    IV is a well known term in English. You will find it in the WR English monolingual dictionary if you look for it there. iv or IV

4. neal2009

neal2009 New Member

I agree with you there as to your interpretation of IV and D5W, but it seems that SRP for slow replacement protocol has nothing to do with D5W. I think it should be something that fuctions like D5W. What do you say? But thank you very, very much for your help.

Neal

5. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    IV- is intravenous therapy and DSW is Dextrose 5% with water. SRP- I don't know. The text seems to be from some medical journal and I think someone connected to that profession can help you

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Online medical literature supports Brioche's suggestion:

http://www.med.umich.edu/pediatrics/ebm/cats/isotonic.htm

7. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I agree with Slow Replacement Protocol for SRP, particularly since searches show that it frequently appears with "TKO" or "to keep open", which is a very slow administration of IV fluid. However, I don't recall the specific term from my nursing days back in the stone age.

8. neal2009

neal2009 New Member

Thank you all first. And I'd give my special thanks to Brioche, Cuchuflete and Nun-Translator. I agree with what you said about SRP.

Great luck,

Neal