Start to work Vs start to give results

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Xavier da Silva, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Xavier da Silva Senior Member

Portuguese
    Hello everyone,

Which option is more appropriate/common [start giving results Vs start working] in the context below?

a. If you don't do that, it will take a long time for the project to start giving results. Having your own business isn't easy.

Vs

b. If you don't do that, it will take a long time for the project to start working. Having your own business isn't easy.

Meaning intended: start being sucessful, start succeeding.

Thank you in advance!

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    To work, in this context, means to operate. A business must be working before it gives results.

However, giving results isn't the same thing as succeeding. Failure is a result, too.

If you mean succeed, say succeed. That's why languages have different words for different concepts. :)

3. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    First, I would tend in AE to say showing results, rather than giving results.

Also, your sentence is a bit off to me, because a project itself doesn't show results or start working. It's specifically the changes that you put in place that start working. The efforts that you make can start showing results. The project itself doesn't seem the actor to me.

So what is the project exactly? Is it a set of changes you're implementing?

4. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    I'm not sure I understand this. I thought the original poster meant start working in the same way I might say, "I took the cold medicine a half hour ago and it's finally started working. I stopped sneezing!"

I'm just finding it odd that a project could start working or show results. It's the actions taken as part of the project that are being judged. The project, for example, might implement a set of measures designed to do xxx and it might take a while for those measures to start working.