starting a sentence with "while"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ntcl, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ntcl Senior Member

Is it okay to start a phrase with While? Thank you.

"While I was waiting for the new year and for the improvement of the market, I got few small projects with XXX. Although it was an unpaid job, I was very glad to became part of their group and to help low income people whose houses were damaged by the last
  2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    It's perfectly correct, understandable, and idiomatic.
  3. Toadie

Toadie Senior Member

I didn't read the second sentence, but the one in question sounds fine. There is nothing wrong with using 'while' at the beginning of a sentence.
  4. agm1984 New Member

I realize this question is very old; however, for the sake of completeness, I just wanted to clarify the usage rules with this.

The word 'while' creates a subordinating conjunction when it begins a sentence. The key is that it instantly makes the clause dependent whether it is independent or dependent, so you will have to follow it with a independent clause. The same scenario occurs with sentences that begin with 'although,' 'whereas,' and about 30 other words.

Such usage seems to be fairly intuitive in my opinion, as seen by the original posters use. I found this thread while searching for information on subordinating adjective clauses.