Step In Dog Poop

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by purupu, Jan 26, 2008.

1. purupu Senior Member

Rome
    Italy italian
    Hi, I'm purupu, from Rome. I need your help, guys!
    I'm translating from english into italian a nice story, set in Arizona, USA. It's the story of a 17 years old girl, Alison, who lives in Dan Diego, with her mother but decides to spend the summer in Arizona, where her father lives, to get to know him better since she hasn't seen him for like 10 years.
    During a conversation with him, who is repairing a stair, she tells him that she knows he's going out with a nice woman, Sandy. Al, really embarrassed, gets hurt with a hammer and Alison starts laughing.
    Al asks: What the hell is so funny?
    Alison replays: I'm sorry. It's like when you see someone step in dog poop, you know, it's just funny.
    The question is: What does "It's like when you see someone step in dog poop, you know, it's just funny" mean? How can I translate it it Italian?

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Welcome, Purupu! :)

You originally posted your question in the Comments & Suggestions forum. I have just moved it to the Italian-English Forum, where people will be able to help you. I have also retitled your thread to comply with rule 4:
    4. Put the word or phrase in the title when asking a question (Avoid "translation please", "how do I say this?", "does this word exist?", "I'm new" and the like).
    Thanks!
    Jann

3. purupu Senior Member

Rome
    Italy italian
    Thanks Jann!

4. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    È come quando vedi qualcuno che pesta la cacca di un cane / una cacca di cane, ti fa ridere / ti fa spaccare dalle risate etc. etc.

5. Cassidy's Mom Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    United States, English
    I'm translating from english into italian a nice story, set in Arizona, USA. It's the story of a 17 years old girl, Alison, who lives in Dan Diego, with her mother but decides to spend the summer in Arizona, where her father lives, to get to know him better since she hasn't seen him for like 10 years.
    During a conversation with him, who is repairing a stair, she tells him that she knows he's going out with a nice woman, Sandy. Al, really embarrassed, gets hurt with a hammer and Alison starts laughing.
    Al asks: What the hell is so funny?
    Alison replays: I'm sorry. It's like when you see someone step in dog poop, you know, it's just funny.

Here are some minor corrections to your story:

I'm translating from English into Italian a nice story, set in Arizona, USA. It's the story of a 17 year-old girl, Allison, who lives in San Diego, with her mother but decides to spend the summer in Arizona, where her father lives, to get to know him better since she hasn't seen him for about 10 years. (“like” is ok only if you are talking colloquially.)
    During a conversation with her dad Al
    , who is repairing a stair, she tells him that she knows he's going out with a nice woman, Sandy. Al, really embarrassed, gets hurt with a hammer and Alison starts laughing.
    Al asks, “What the hell is so funny?
    Alison replies, “I'm sorry. It's like when you see someone step in dog poop, you know, it's just funny.

Ciao

6. purupu Senior Member

Rome
    Italy italian
    Grazie danalto,
    anch'io avevo pensato a questa traduzione letterale, ma non ti sembra fuori luogo che lei rida mentre lui si lamenta per essersi fatto male alla mano? E poi, quando uno si fa male, è come pestare la cacca di un cane?Magari è un modo di dire della lingua, visto che lui era imbarazzato perchè lei sapeva di Sandy e lui non se lo aspettava! Che dici?

Thanks cassidy's Mom!
    What do you mean when you say:
    "It's like when you see someone step in dog poop, you know, it's just funny"
    Why is Alison laughing? Maybe because she notices his embarrassment?
    Is it like when YOU know something about someone who not aware that u know?....

7. Cassidy's Mom Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    United States, English
    She's saying that the mistake of her father hitting himself with the hammer is funny, funny like when someone steps in dog-do. They are both funny mistakes. The father of course doesn't think it is funny because he's doubled over in pain after hitting himself with the hammer!

Some very friendly advice: You might want to just say "you" instead of "u", it comes across as very juvenile. Usually teenagers write like that, or people who are text messaging and want to abbreviate, or those who just want to be "cute". It is best that standard English be used, especially if you are a foreigner still learning the language.

8. prinkle Senior Member

italy
    Italy native languages English and Italian (dual national)
    Sai, é divertente come quando vedi qualcuno che pesta la popo di cane.

9. purupu Senior Member

Rome
    Italy italian
    Thanks everyboby!