Stewards of environment

Discussion in 'English Only' started by macta123, Mar 4, 2006.

1. macta123 Senior Member

India
    India,Hindi
    Hello,

Yesterday President Bush stated in India

" We'll help India be good stewards of our enviornment "

What does he might mean by saying this.
    And what does - Steward of enviornment stand for.

2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A steward in this sense is one who takes responsibility for something on behalf of someone else.

Here, a good steward of the environment would be taking good care of the environment on behalf of future generations.

Bush is saying that the US will provide assistance to India to help it become more environmentally aware and more environment-friendly:)

3. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    The Lord's Prayer springs unbidden to mind here.

The notion that the nation which is most wasteful-of-resources and which has fought tooth and nail against the Kyoto Protocol is to advise anyone on the environment leads me to wonder if the Indians might be forgiven for mumbling to themselves....

And lead us not into temptation!

4. rjs New Member

english USA
    The president is saying we will help you do as we say, not as we do. In my opinion.

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have complete confidence that this promise by President Bush will be fulfilled with the same diligence and commitment that he applies to all his other promises. Fortunately, linguistic analysis of the president's words belongs in a different forum.

In any case, he feels he has already met the commitment by bringing his own rubbish home with him.