stick shoved up your ass

Discussion in 'English Only' started by francez, Mar 2, 2010.

1. francez New Member

The Netherlands
    Indonesian
    Hi,

What does "stick shoved up your ass" mean?

Example:
    "Now please remove the stick shoved up your ass and let's get to work."

I guess this is a bad language, but I've come across this sentence a couple of times, and would really like to know what it exactly means.

TIA.

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Greetings francez,

In the context of the sentence you have provided, it seems to mean that the person is loafing, doing nothing. This is not a common meaning for the phrase in American English. Let's see what a British English speaker has to say.

3. Doofy Junior Member

Chicago, Ill.
    English - US
    Seems pretty common/familiar to me! It means rigid, having an inflexible attitude, arrogant. On another message board, a poster wrote about people he hates: "Right-wing assholes in cowboy hats who pose like they have a stick up their ass sideways and sing about trite pseudo-truisms as if they have some sort of special insight into the human condition to impart on the rest of us."

Here's another one, from a letter to Salon.com: "If this is all too much for you, try pulling the stick out of your ass and lighten up." Relax, calm down, stop acting so hostile.

All this is the height of vulgarity, of course.

4. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    I certainly agree with the definitions Doofy has provided, but they don't seem consistent with the implicit meaning in the sample sentence. Perhaps more context would clarify things. Having a stick up one's ass has long carried the sense of being rigid, straight laced, and sometimes pompous. It has not, in my experience, been contrasted with willingness to get to work.

5. francez New Member

The Netherlands
    Indonesian
    Thank you Doofy, that's very clear! :)

6. envie de voyager Senior Member

Niagara Falls, Canada
    english-canadian
    I agree with Doofy. I would describe someone as "having a stick shoved up their ass" if they were far too rigid in following a set of rules. In the original post, I would take that sentence to mean that the speaker has become frustrated with someone's insistence on being overly prepared to do a task.

7. Doofy Junior Member

Chicago, Ill.
    English - US
    Yes, right...I'd assume this person is being told "Stop complaining and get to work," rather than stop being lazy.

8. francez New Member

The Netherlands
    Indonesian
    I'm sorry Chucuflete, maybe I hadn't provided the complete context.

In the story, the girl who was addressed, was indeed being arrogant and difficult toward the leader of the team. In response, the leader rebuked her and said to her "Now please remove the stick shoved up your ass and let's get to work."

So, in this sense, the answer of Doofy seems correct.

Thanks for replying.

9. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    More context here, should anyone want it ....

10. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Given the additional context, Doofy's answer seems perfect.

11. francez New Member

The Netherlands
    Indonesian
    Loob, you're exactly right!! I was reading that. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2010