Sto ascoltando il suono della pioggia

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Arcadia2008, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Arcadia2008

Arcadia2008 Senior Member

Imperia
    Italian
    Ciao a tutti!
    Mi aiutate per favore a tradurre correttamente in inglese questa frase?
    "Sto ascoltando il suono della pioggia di fine estate".
    Io direi:
    "I'm listening (o "I'm enjoying") to the sound of the summer-end rain falling down".
    Grazie in anticipo! :)

2. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I'm listening to the sound of summer's-end rain.

3. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Come fa notare Charles, non c'è bisogno di usare il verbo "fall" (si suppone, come in italiano, che sia proprio la caduta delle gocce a fare il rumore). Comunque sarebbe "falling", senza "down".

4. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "I'm listening to the sound of the late-summer rain."
    "I'm listening to the late-summer rain."

5. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I much prefer those, sound shift! :)

6. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    Here the concept is that the rain denotes the end of the summer, so I prefer Charles' interpretation. You could also say "the end-of-summer rain".

EDIT: Hi Charles, while I prefer your version, you prefer sound-shift's!

7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Einstein, I like them because 'late-summer rain' is much more common than 'summer's-end rain'. It's also easier to say. :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  8. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    This is interesting. If the rain just happened to be falling at the end of the summer but didn't denote the end of summer as per Einstein's second post, what would we say instead of "pioggia di fine estate"?

9. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    Please forgive me all of you for being facetious here but what is the most important part of the sentence? Does the rain denote the end of summer? Which of course only means something if you live in Australia or Italy for goodness sake! :D;) Here in the north of England it hardly ever stops raining so end-of-summer rain (which I like by the way Einstein) is an alien concept.

I am (enjoying) listening to the pitter patter of the end-of-summer/late summer rain. (A bit cliched I know, but I couldn't resist.)
    I am enjoying (listening to) the sound of the rain at the end of (the) summer. (...signalling the end of summer.)
    I am deafened by the constant sound of rain here in the beautiful north.:D:D

Ciao
    Leo:)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. JNewland Senior Member

I tend to agree with Leo57 as Summer is over; and by the way, I do live in Australia.:D