1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

stop going off on one

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by bodryachkom, Feb 28, 2014.

1. bodryachkom Junior Member

Moscow
    Russian
    Dear all,
    while translating an article on Martin Creed's work I've come across an expression I don't get:

“If you do a live portrait of someone then you’ve got an audience, and it stops you going off on one,” he explains.

I've found on the Urban Dictionary that "to go off on one" means something like "раздражаться", "срываться", but this meaning doesn't seem to fit the context and I don't really get the way it is related to the verb "stop". I can't propose my version of translation 'cause I don't understand this phrase, sorry.

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hi Bodryachkom, in the absence of further context, I think you've got the right meaning - раздражаться. Artists can be temperamental or even neurotic, they can get easily annoyed or upset by the slightest thing. If they have an audience, they have to keep their potentially erratic behaviour or outbursts under control.

3. bodryachkom Junior Member

Moscow
    Russian
    Thank you, Enquiring Mind!

You are absolutely right, a broader context is necessary here though to me personally it doesn't make things clearer:

This determined desire “to try to make work in the world with other people in it” lies at the core of some of his most recent and unexpected works. A series of portraits made last year involved an almost masochistic pushing of his creative and physical limits: in his “BlindPortraits”, he paints with the canvas hidden in a box, while he creates his “Jumping Portraits”by positioning the paper so high on the wall that he has to leap up to apply the paint. “If you do a live portrait of someone then you’ve got an audience, and it stops you going off on one,” he explains. “I’m always trying to free myself from my own taste and the tendency I have to make things neat and tidy. The more self-regarding one becomes, the worse it is for the aliveness of the work.”

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Ok, so as the previous couple of sentences make clear, his works are "unexpected" and "push his creative limits" in an "almost masochistic way", and in the Jumping Portraits he has to jump up to apply the paint. This is clearly an unconventional approach which he likes to adopt when he can let his imagination and passions (or maybe lunatic tendencies?) run wild, he doesn't feel inhibited by the presence of other people (an audience) who might expect more socially acceptable behaviour.

So "to go off on one" here is "to go off on a tangent", "to let my imagination run wild", "to adopt the kind of highly unconventional approach which I feel is part of my art".

5. wheelrunner Junior Member

eng uk
    Maybe что-то вроде переувлекаться?
    EDIT: No, sorry! Re-reading posts 3,4 carefully I see this is wrong.

EDIT2: It's more like just увлекаться although I'm sure there are far better translations.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014