stop, quit smoking VS give up smoking

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ocham, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Ocham Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    I searched Google Ngram Viewer to see how these three phrases used, with the result that between 1960's and 1980's "stop smoking" and "quit smoking" were more frequently used than before 1060's while "give up smoking" showed no drastic change in frequency. Then I've been wondering if there is any meaning behind this, I mean, there is a subtle nuance between the two group of phrases. Could anyone give me some suggestion?

2. gramman

gramman Senior Member

>>between 1960 and 1990, "stop smoking" and "quit smoking" were used more frequently, while "give up smoking" showed no drastic change

How different were these rates of change?

>>there is a subtle nuance

Very subtle indeed. Do you have any suggestions? Is this part of some research you're conducting?

The only thing I can think of is that the first two may have become more popular as a result of their relative prominence in anti-smoking public information campaigns.

3. Rushan New Member

Russian
    << Mod note: I have merged with with an earlier thread so we can profit from the accumulated wisdom. >>

Hello.
    What's the difference between
    "quit smoking"
    "stop smoking"
    and "give up smoking" ?
    Is there more variants ?

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  4. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    I think "quit smoking"="give up smoking"- give up the habit of smoking or stop smoking forever or at least for a longer period of time.
    while "stop smoking" can also have other meanings, like in "stop smoking in this room."

5. ron1759 Senior Member

Boston, Mass., U.S.A.
    U.S. - English
    "Stop smoking" could mean to refrain from smoking for a short duration of time. They all can mean to stop smoking permanently (or at least with the intention of permanently quitting).

6. skymouse Junior Member

central London
    English - London
    The only thing I can think of (and this pure conjecture) is that "give up" might seem to suggest making a sacrifice, and when encouraging people to stop smoking this isn't something you would want to draw attention to.

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    The term most prominently used in US campaigns to get people to abandon the habit forever is "quit", which has come to mean to stop totally, forever, when used in connection with smoking (the word itself might denote something less permanent in other connections). It's the word repeatedly emphasized in the current anti-smoking campaign here in New York.