1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

storm parliament

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by KaterinaWard, Nov 11, 2012.

1. KaterinaWard Junior Member

Thessaloniki
    English (UK)
    What is the correct way to say 'storm parliament'?

I want to say - The continuous, destructive riots of Athens have yet to breach the Greek riot police and storm parliament.

I have.. Οι συνεχείς, καταστροφικές ταραχές της Αθήνας έχουν ακόμη να δημιουργήσουν ρήγμα στην ελληνική ΜΑΤ, και να....? το κοινοβούλιο.

Thanks!

2. Andrious Senior Member

Το γράφω σε κάπως ελεύθερη μετάφραση για να είναι πιο εύηχο:
    Οι συνεχείς, καταστροφικές ταραχές της Αθήνας δεν έχουν ακόμη καταφέρει να δημιουργήσουν ρήγμα στα ΜΑΤ ώστε να σαρώσουν το κοινοβούλιο.
    Το storm εδώ σημαίνει σαρώνω σα θύελλα, καταλαμβάνω εξ εφόδου.

3. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    There's also the option of "να εισβάλουν στο Κοινοβούλιο".

4. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Also "να ορμήσουν στο Κοινοβούλιο"

5. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Athens
    Greek
    If we lower the register, we might even say "να μπουκάρουν στη Βουλή".
    However, seeing that we often use the verb "to storm" with the meaning (see above) "καταλαμβάνω εξ εφόδου" (e.g. the storming of the Bastille, η κατάληψη της Βαστίλης), I would favour the translation "και να καταλάβουν το κοινοβούλιο".

6. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    :thumbsup:

7. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    I think καταλαμβάνω "με έφοδο" works aswell as "εξ εφόδου" :)

8. Eltheza

Eltheza Senior Member

Worcestershire, UK
    English - England (Midlands)
    I think that this is the more accurate rendition of 'storm'.

Just wondering about 'να κάνουν σφοδρή μαζική επίθεση εναντίον + γεν.):confused:

It seems a bit long-winded though;)!

9. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Athens
    Greek
    I beg to differ, dear Eltheza. Let's take the definition of "storm" in this specific usage:

"[with object] (of troops) suddenly attack and capture (a building or other place) by means of force: commandos stormed a hijacked plane early today" http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/storm?q=storm

Καταλαμβάνω εξ εφόδου (or "με έφοδο", in the less common demotic rendering) is exactly the combination of attacking and capturing.

I share your view: unnecessarily long-winded. The sense of "μαζική" is normally denoted by the subject (e.g. troops, crowds). And you still only translate the aspect of "attack" without the capture.

10. Eltheza

Eltheza Senior Member

Worcestershire, UK
    English - England (Midlands)
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  11. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Athens
    Greek
    εξ εφόδου -> by storm

It’s half the story. Actually, most of the initial collocations that come up in a Google search for “εξ εφόδου” (e.g. προσβάλλω εξ εφόδου, άλωση εξ εφόδου and the like) are rare. The only frequent collocation with it worth remembering is “καταλαμβάνω εξ εφόδου”. It is, of course, another απολίθωμα, a term for which I was once berated.