Story Mode/Campaign

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by 123xyz, Aug 13, 2013.

1. 123xyz

123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    In many video games, there is a collection of levels or a set of scenarios that are the core component of the game, and which are generally perceived as the standard levels or scenarios, while there may be other secondary levels or scenarios, generally simpler or with fewer restrictions, or possibly user-created levels and scenarios. The standard levels and scenarios generally tend to be called "Story Mode" or "Campaign", or something of the sort. How would you translate this term in your language, or if there is no direct translation, what would you improvise in its place?

Thank you in advance
  2. arielipi Senior Member

Campaign - מערכה ma'aracha, מסע masa'
    Story Mode - סיפור sipur עלילה alila.
  3. 123xyz

123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    Thank you for your reply, arielipi; could you (and the others, since I will probably get replies about languages I have practically no knowledge of) also explain how the terms are derived, i.e. what they literally mean? I suppose that the two first tirms actually mean "campaign" or "battle" or something similar and the last two "story", though I'm not really sure.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. arielipi Senior Member

Well yes, מערכה is lit. set (of events), battle.
    מסע is a journey, voyage, campaign. chess move.
    סיפור is simply story, and עלילה is somewhat higher level of saying story, but also delivers something more... deep; to babies and kids you read a sipur, while a play has alila; an adults book, a movie has an alila.
    sipur would be better as a tale.
  5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Story mode in Dutch: verhaalvorm [story form], verhaalstijl [style] perhaps (verhaallijn [line] would 'the plot' in English), but they don't sound modern at all !

Journey would be reis, but again that does not sound very attractive. Anything else?
  6. 123xyz

123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    ThomasK, how come they don't sound modern, since video games are a modern things to begin with? Are you saying the terms you have provided are not appropriate for the video game options we are discussing?
    In the mean time, I have found a German version of a video game, where the campaign option is translated as "Kampagne".
  7. arielipi Senior Member

Plot would be a good translation for עלילה, though plot is static, and in hebrew alila delivers a flow of events.
  8. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

In Tagalog i think campaign is " Pabatid" in case of the games "story mode" could be " daloy ng salaysay or patutunguhang salaysay".
  9. ahmedcowon Senior Member

Direct translation is used in Arabic versions of video games:

Story Mode: نمط القصة /namat al-qissa/
    Campaign: حملة /ĥamla/