1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Strahlenkranz

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by candel, Jun 28, 2013.

1. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Hi,

Concerning studies of the sun's energy.

IRIS soll Aufschluss darüber geben, wie die Sonne Energie produziert und sie in den Millionen Grad heißen äußeren Strahlenkranz, die sogenannte Korona, transportiert. Dafür untersucht sie die Schicht der Sonne, die zwischen der Oberfläche und der Korona liegt.

What is the difference between Korona and Strahlenkranz? Synonyms?

Iris is supposed to provide information about how the sun produces energy and transports it into the million-degree-hot outer corona, the so-called corona. For that it examines the layer of the sun, which lies between the surface and the corona.

Sort of confusing to me. Danke.

2. Bahiano

Bahiano Senior Member

Hi candel,
    Strahlenkranz is the common term of the physical phenomenon, that may occur in various situations.
    Korona, as an astronomical term, is the high energetic plasma around the Sun, which can be seen during a total solar eclipse, or else, can be observed using a coronagraph.
    Korona, as a term for the optical phenomenon, is the result of sun light (or moon light) being diffracted by smallest water droplets within the atmosphere.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  3. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    I think we tend to speak of the corona....and then I think an outer corona...both words Korona and Strahlenkranz are given as Corona so it can be confusing. Thanks for your very admirable efforts to explain..:)

4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    In the given context they define Korona as "Millionen Grad heißer äußerer Strahlenkranz"
    The Korona this way is part of the "Strahlenkranz" of the sun.

In other words:
    Strahlenkranz is the inner and the outer corona.
    In German Korona it the outer Strahlenkranz (the outer corona) - according to your source.

It is the usage in your article, I am not sure whether it is general usage.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    They are complete synonyms to me.

German often uses redundant expressions like "äußere Hülle" , "innerer Kern".

"Äußerer Strahlenkranz" just states the position of the corona and is not in contrast to "innerer Strahlenkranz".

6. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi Frank, I think, you are right.
    I explained how they used it in the sentence.
    But this usage may be wrong.

Now it depends on whether Candel wants to translate it or just wants to know it.
    A translation is not so easy.

---
    If we summarize, we have:

Article:
    I understood: Korona is the outer Strahlenkranz.
    But maybe I misunderstood, and they just mean "äußerer Strahlenkranz = Strahlenkranz, der außen liegt". Than it is absolut synonym as Frank explained.
    Usually:
    Strahlenkranz and Korona are synonyms, there is no contrast
    ---

In the Wikipedia it is not clear. I understand "sichtbarer Strahlenkranz" there as the outer part of the Korona or as the whole Korona. (Is there a contrast to "unsichtbarer Strahlenkranz"?)

Strahlenkranz - is this only the visible part?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korona_(Sonne)

My try for translation:
    Millionen Grad heißer äußerer Strahlenkranz, die sogenannte Korona
    million degrees hot (outer) aureole, the so called corona.

According to Frank's explanation, it might be necessary to omit "outer". I am not sure. May be in English it is the same fuzzy thing as in German, than you should not omit it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  7. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Thanks for your efforts, on this issue I feel a little out of my depth...I appreciate your efforts to educate me...on linguistic and scientific...especially Hutschi whose attention to detail is humbling...danke.

Nb I always wish to translate and understand it...the way of the parrot was never for me..:)