Stress rules in -ia-ending words

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by ruprecht, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ruprecht New Member

english england
    I'm sure this has come up before but I can't find the appropriate thread.

Unless you see it print i.e. accented, is there any way of knowing if an ia-ending word you know, and want to use in speech, obeys the penultimate accent rule?

Thank you.

2. the MASTER

the MASTER Senior Member

Here and there ...
    English - British
    I don't understand. If you know the word, you must have seen it in print or heard it from someone else. That means you would know where the accent would fall.

3. Joel - Spanish Junior Member

Amsterdam
    British English
    I take it that you mean: Does ia at the end of words get pronounced with the stress on the i ?

The answer is no, unless the i has a tilde.

For example:

democracia - stress on the penultimate a
    bestia - stress on the e
    aprendía - stress on the i.

I don't know if this is what you were referring to.

4. ruprecht New Member

english england
    "I don't understand. If you know the word, you must have seen it in print or heard it from someone else. That means you would know where the accent would fall."

Unfortunately, having previously heard any word or seen it in print doesn't guarantee that, perhaps months later, you will remember where the stress is when you come to use it!

Words one uses often like día and guardia are easy because one says them so often. But what dictates, for example - and I am deliberately leaving out any accents - how the following are pronounced? Compania, farmacia, Normandia, aristocracia, economia, dependencia, fotografia.....

On the face of it, one might expect them all to have the stress in the same place, but they don't. There is obviously no hard and fast rule.

However, it would help if one knew what proportion of -ia ending words in Spanish have the stress on the penultimate syllable as in farmacia, or the ultimate as in compañía, so one could take an educated guess next time your memory let you down!

Un abrazo.

5. manicha Senior Member

Spanish/Galician - Spain
    Ahora lo entendí!. Quieres saber si hay una regla para saber si la terminación en ia de una palabra se acentúa, o no, en la í, sin verla escrita? Pues en realidad no la hay. Pero he estado pensando un poco y me he dado cuenta de que las palabras terminadas en -cia suelen ser llanas: farmacia, urgencia, constancia, conciencia, denuncia, justicia, adolescencia, gracia, acacia, argucia, astucia, ciencia, codicia, creencia, inercia, alopecia, abundancia, indiferencia... Pero Abogacía, policía y mercancía (como ves, terminan en -cia y se acentúan).
    En cambio, la terminación ía se acentúa habitualmente cuando se refiere a nombres de ramas del conocimiento: geografía, economía, poesía... lugares donde se desarrolla una actividad... fiscalía, panadería, zapatería ...(muchos nombres de clases de comercios acaban en -ía) y algunas otras: brujería, día, etc. Además, las formas del pretérito imperfecto de la segunda y tercera conjugación -quería, vivía- se acentúan.
    Espero haberte ayudado!

6. ruprecht New Member

english england
    Fanastico, Manicha, es exactamente el tipo de análisis que esperaba! Muchas gracias.

7. hr1982 New Member

American English - New England
    Thank you for the explanation; I'm sorry I can't reply in Spanish. I've been trying to figure out why farmacia is not pronounced "farmacía," like many of the other places one shops, and I think this gets to the root of the problem.
    When I looked up the etymology for "pharmacy," I found that the entire word used to refer to the medicine itself, so the "ia" is not signifying a place to buy, for example, a "farm."

8. elianecanspeak Senior Member

by Lake Michigan
    English - EEUU
    ¿Si la palabra deriva del griego afecterá la posisión del acento tónico?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  9. Spug Senior Member

Hi ruprecht,

I don't know if this will help you, but the vowel combination ia is considered a diphthong in Spanish. Unless there is a written accent over one of the vowels, the combination is pronounced as one syllable. This is the case in the word farmacia. As manicha says, there is no firm rule that lets us know which words will have written accents over one of the vowels and which will not.

I'd like to recommend an excellent source for you for information about questions like yours. Do a search for the Real Academia Española document Ortografía de la lengua española. The document is available for free in pdf format, even though you can't print or modify it (but you can download it to your own computer). Not only is it authoritative, it is very helpful to folks like us who speak Spanish as a second language (and probably to native speakers too. ;))

Take care...

10. jas0491 New Member

English
    Where would words like ceremonia go?

Do words ending in nia commonly not have accents?